The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Can horses just have "off" days? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/can-horses-just-have-off-days-30791/)

madisonfriday 07-02-2009 09:41 AM

Can horses just have "off" days?

I'm new to horse ownership so maybe I am freaking out,

I went to ride Hero two nights ago and his trot was off. Just short and choppy on the front end...now all the horses got into the clover patch and had a bit of a tummy upset but would this effect his riding??

Maybe he pulled something the night before? :?

anyways I didnt get on him the past few nights just worked with his fear of wash stalls and flyspray...
I got him in and out of the wash stall twenty times, so I think I'm going to start hosing his legs off with cold water if this "offness" continues

as for the fly spray it took a long time..he'll run around in circles as soon as you spray him..hes a ottb as soon as I put that stud chain on he didnt budge - guess thats what it takes..

Any ways just wondering if they can have off days what can cause it?
His legs are fine, stretched, not hot or swollen.

Vidaloco 07-02-2009 10:32 AM

Sure they can :-) My mare will have off days when she just isn't her usual sweet self. So do I :wink:
Just FYI, put water in the spray bottle till he gets used to the sensation. That way you aren't wasting fly spray.

madisonfriday 07-02-2009 10:42 AM

you mean physically?

I just hope he isnt going lame maybe he just pulled something

but im giving a few days off and workin in desensitizing since he was a little limpy

G and K's Mom 07-02-2009 10:56 AM

Being "off" is one thing, being "limpy" is something else. If he is indeed lame you might want to investigate why. A call to a vet may be in order.

madisonfriday 07-02-2009 11:07 AM

well they got into some clover, they all had upset tummys. my friends horse rode fine except for the drooling EVERYwhere

Hero was fine at the walk, but into the trot he wasn't really limpy just short in the front and I could feel it..

he is 13 - should I get him on some supplements? My friend has her 12 year old on devils claw.

Sophie19 07-02-2009 11:12 AM

He might just be a little stiff or sore. My horse used to get that way when we jumped more often. I would always just give him a nice long warm up with a lot of walk and trot, first along the rail and then some circles and serpentines before we got to work so that he could get loosened up and stretched out. He would usually be back to normal after about 20 minutes.

kitten_Val 07-02-2009 11:40 AM

I'm not so sure about riding, but my paint sometime just not that nice. She pretends EVERYTHING scares her (hose, spray, even brushing). 100% PRETENDs, and then other day she's just like nothing happened. I actually blame her "girl" days for being like that, but in reality don't even know (they both don't show any obvious signs being "in heat"). If your horse does look or feel sick, not lame, etc. may be he indeed not in mood.

madisonfriday 07-02-2009 11:47 AM

yeah my friends horse does that acts lame and lazy so my friend gets off lol.

I just hope Hero is just stiff? or pulled something nothing major

is he lame if he is short strided? I wouldn't say its limpy but it was a lazy "off" choppy trot in the front

Sophie19 07-02-2009 11:49 AM

Is he being stalled or kept outside. Sometimes horses can get stiff from being in the stall all day.

madisonfriday 07-02-2009 12:07 PM

hmm kept outside