The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Training (/horse-training/)
-   -   What to tell the owner??? (

Quest52 07-02-2009 10:33 AM

What to tell the owner???
This is most likely not the right place for this, but I couldn't find a place I thought this would fit??

Here is the deal:

I'm riding a 4 year old horse for a breeder/barn owner. I LOVE him. BUT... I can't afford him. Right now were just trading the horse for services (I don't want to loose me AA card and get paid).

I should be able to afford this horse in about a year (she has 6 young horses at this time, including him)

what do I do?? Do I tell her I want him? I mean.. its in about a YEAR. Wouldn't that be weird to be like... hey, just so you know, I want him but can't afford him right now so how about for now you pay for him until I can??? Since she owns the barn its no HUGE deal with board... but I don't pay for anything for him (aside from his carrots and apples!!!)

advice?? Any breeders out there??

RidingBareback 07-02-2009 11:14 AM

It depends what your relationship with her is. Why don't you tell her you want him, but won't be able to afford him for a year. See what her reaction is. Ask what you'll need to pay. Ask about board, and don't forget to make it clear how much you love him!

Good luck! :)

Solon 07-02-2009 11:15 AM

She may be willing to do payments for you.

Quest52 07-02-2009 11:43 AM

I'll give more information:

we have a great relationship. I'm a very accomplished rider and I'm helping her with her other horses and selling them.

I seriously have NO money right now. None... none. I'm a law graduate student and I work at the school to help pay my tuition, but live off of loans.

I mean... I could give her some money here or there (literally... $100 here and there)... but thats NOTHING to cover what his true board would be ($500/month) and the cost of him (around $15k or so)

Is it rude to say something????
And of course, because its fun... this is him (he just turned 4 on the 20th) and is full Trak:

Solon 07-02-2009 11:45 AM

Then your not ready to have a horse. The least expensive part of the horse is the purchase price. Wait until you have enough money to buy and support a horse. There will be others if this one is not available.

And no, I wouldn't bring up buying him. You're no where near close to being able to afford him.

Sophie19 07-02-2009 11:46 AM

I say talk to her about it. She might be willing to hold onto him for a year for you, especially if you are helping her with her other horses. And the worse thing that could happen is she will say no. And then your in the same position as if you never asked. So you have nothing to lose.

barefoot 07-02-2009 11:49 AM

Why are you thinking about this now? Is she considering selling him?

Quest52 07-02-2009 11:59 AM

she's a breeder... and this is the end of her career as one. He is the last one out of her late black gran prix dressage stallion... and he's the only pinto full trek gelding in the US... and I love him.

She's got 6 right now, and all of them are considered "for sale"

I have an extremely bad back condition (which kept me from staying professional) So there are not many horses that I can train from the ground up to PSG without help. He's very quiet. This is why I want this PARTICULAR horse.

I'm just suggesting saying something to her because he could be sold off... and his training is going amazing.

There is no need to be rude and bite my head off... I'm more than aware of the costs associated with having a horse, for I've had and trained many.

Solon 07-02-2009 12:03 PM

No one is being rude to you, you asked a question and people are responding. It's a realistic answer to say if you don't have the money to care for the horse then now probably isn't the time to get one.

Ask her about payments then and see if she will hold him.

GypsyTally921 07-02-2009 12:04 PM

Quest; if you have a great relationship with her, it can't hurt to talk to her about it. Tell her first that you know it's probably a ridiculous request but you'd rather ask and have the answer be no than wonder forever if she would have been willing. If you're close to her she probably knows your situation, and is more than likely willing to work with you. I'd think she'd want the last horse out of her amazing stallion to go to someone she knew anyway... you could always use that angle to try and convince her too :)

My point is, talk to her about it. She's the only one who can answer the question for you, and whether it works or not (though I hope it does!) you'll feel better afterwards, either because it will happen, or because now you know and can begin to distance yourself.

One thing though: I'd suggest, no matter how close you are and how much you like her, getting something in writing; though I am probably preaching to the choir since I just remembered you said you're a law graduate. Congrats, btw!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome