The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   breeches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/breeches-30805/)

JumpingJellyBean 07-02-2009 12:54 PM

breeches

This weekend i am going shopping to the horse. My most favorite store in the world lol. I can always keep finding stuff to buy. So i need to get a new pair of breeches that i can wear to shows and just to hack in. I want something that will last. So what kind should i get. What are your favorite?

MIEventer 07-02-2009 12:59 PM

Irideon makes great breeches - and I love Kerrits. I'm a pull on tight sorta girl, I personally find breeches restricting, so my input can only come from what I have in my closet.

luvs2ride1979 07-02-2009 04:31 PM

I like Irideon too. Their Issential tights are very comfy and not revealing ;-). Their Cadence pull-ons are ribbed and sturdier, but not as cool for summer riding as the Issentials.

upnover 07-02-2009 04:51 PM

Some people collect saddle pads... some people collect bits... I love breeches. I think I'm now down to about 25 pairs. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those girls that just amasses clothes, I actually wear my breeches until they have holes in inappropriate places and I do actually wear all of them!

Here's the thing about breeches. Just like jeans they all fit differently and will look different on different people. Plus, people like their breeches to fit a certain way. So I'm glad you're going and trying on several pairs. Just because I like something doesn't mean you will.

For something that looks good enough to show in and durable enough to hack in... i would probably most recommend Cotton Naturals by OnCourse. They are a very thick durable cotton, you can get side zips with slash pockets in conservative show colors (beige, greenish beige, etc). They are excellent quality, hold up for lots of riding/washing, and look great. They fit a lot of people well but I think the calves tend to be baggy. I think I have small calves though because I have this problem with a few pairs. They're also pretty wallet friendly. maybe around $70ish?
If you're wanting to spend some more ($99) I'd check out Ariat Sport Strides. I have a few pairs that I even wear on the A circuit. They fit me perfectly (although I don't like the low rise, I think they tend to be a little too low), come in a side zip, in nice colors. I have a pair I've probably worn to about 10 different shows and they're in perfect shape. They do tend to shrink though, even if you don't dry them.
If you have a little more to spend I'd try the Tailored Sportsman TS's. They're machine washable (unlike their other pairs). I know very few people who look good in both TSs and Ariats. Most people fit one or the other. So if the ariats look funny on you, check out the TS.

My absolute favorite breeches to hack in the summer are TuffRider Aerocools. They are so breathable that I can't wear them when it's too cold outside. The cold air goes right through them! They are extremely durable (the oldest pair of breeches i own are 3 y/o aerocools), don't stain, and look great. Tend to run small. You can find them on Ebay new for $50. I wouldn't show in them though.

My favorite breeches for day to day riding in regular weather are also by TuffRider. They're ribbed, have a flex-patch, front zip, in a nice charcoal grey. I think I got them for $60. So far have lasted a year, which is a lot for my breeches. Very flattering, I always get compliments when I wear these. :) They are NOT to be confused with the ribbed pull ons. I have a pair of these and hate them. They're cheap, they're huge in the calves, way too long, fit funny in the waist, and just not flattering. I wear them a lot because I'm trying to wear them out so I can throw them away. They're stained where the saddle has touched them, I hate them.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. ;) If you have any more specific questions, let me know! Breeches are my thing.

IrishRider 07-02-2009 05:49 PM

I love my Tailored Sportsmans and I also have a pair of Grand Prix breeches that I adore. I show and hack in both.

barefoot 07-02-2009 10:44 PM

I will only buy Ariat or Tailored Sportsmans (I grew up doing hunters, don't judge me).
I guess you could call me picky or shallow.. but I will not ride in any breeches without a side-zip - I just cannoooot stand it. Both Ariat and Tailored Sportsmans make a very good, cheaper, breech.

I have these as schooling breeches - I really like them. And they are totally good-looking and well enough for showing!!
Ariat Sport Select Side Zip Riding Breeches - Dover Saddlery.

kitten_Val 07-03-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 341458)
Some people collect saddle pads... some people collect bits... I love breeches. I think I'm now down to about 25 pairs.

I'm just WOW here! 25 pairs! :shock: :D

I guess I don't collect anything then - I have double for each item I have (EXCEPT the breeches - I have just one pair and didn't try to ride in them yet - they look too nice ha-ha-ha!).

JumpingJellyBean 07-03-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 342334)
I'm just WOW here! 25 pairs! :shock: :D

I guess I don't collect anything then - I have double for each item I have (EXCEPT the breeches - I have just one pair and didn't try to ride in them yet - they look too nice ha-ha-ha!).

i know every time i buy something new for my pony i dont want to use it because it looks so shiny and new lol.

upnover 07-04-2009 10:02 AM

Just so I don't sound like a spoiled hunter princess, let me explain my 25 pairs!! Riding is my job. I ride on average 3-5 horses a day, 5-7 days a week. When I'm not riding I'm teaching, so I basically live in my breeches. Where I live it's over 100 in the summer and in the 20s in the winter and since I'm outside ALL DAY it's important for me to be comfortable! So I have about 6 summer breeches, 6 winter breeches, 8 or 9 "regular" breeches. I also go to shows where I show for up to 5 days in a row and don't have access to a washing machine/dry cleaner so I have to have at least 5 pairs of show breeches. I actually buy most of my breeches on clearance or ebay or very deeply discounted from my friend who manages a tack shop. Clearance rack is my best friend though. When I see good ones on clearance I usually buy them and keep them for when I wear a pair or two out (which happens often, even the good ones). And I'm also always on the hunt for the "best" pair out there so when I see some I don't have I often buy them to tryout new brands. So no, I'm not one of those spoiled girls who just has to have a million pairs of whatever clothes. I actually use and wear out every single pair I own!

kitten_Val 07-04-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 342590)
Just so I don't sound like a spoiled hunter princess, let me explain my 25 pairs!!

upnover, you don't have to explain! I was just teasing you! :lol: Didn't even think you are the spoiled princess or something like that (you don't sound like one from your posts anyway lol!). Anyway, my apologies if you found my comment offensive.