The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Possible Purchase- Critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/possible-purchase-critique-308225/)

aspin231 11-06-2013 06:38 PM

Possible Purchase- Critique?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for a horse for pleasure riding and a bit of jumping. I'm not looking to be competitive in either, just something fun. My current horse refuses to jump, outright. Even 6" cross poles are grounds for refusal. Point being, he's not happy being a ring horse at all, just trails, and I want a good mix of both.
I can across this gelding for sale, here's what his ad says:
11yr old. 16.3 hands thoroughbred handles and jumps well. Excellent temperament and good with all level of riders.
So I sent an email, and got a couple pictures, but before I go out and see him as he's a couple towns over, I wanted a basic critique. Any faults that should worry me?
Cheers.

Weezilla 11-06-2013 07:37 PM

My first impression is that I like him. I love the big guys and gals, and I think he looks well worth a look-see. The photos aren't conducive to a confo critic since he's not standing square or perpendicular to the camera. He looks like he could lose some weight ;) but that's better than the other way around. The trot shot shows a nicely forward trot with adequate freedom of shoulder and a lovely expression. Definitely worth a road trip :)

aspin231 11-06-2013 07:38 PM

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to go have a look-see.
Thanks.
Any other opinions?

thetempest89 11-06-2013 08:13 PM

I loovee him! His head looks small, but what a pretty boy. Not a confro critique but I think he's pretty.

TheBiscuit 11-07-2013 02:13 PM

Hard to tell anything from the photos except maybe his back is a little long. He looks like a good mover at the trot though! If all you want to do is pleasure riding/jumping, he seems like a good fit. You should really go ride him and see for yourself! :)

Chickenoverlord 11-08-2013 10:17 AM

I like him, but I see him over at the knee, or is it just me?

NorthernHorse 11-08-2013 10:07 PM

Im seeing over at the knees as well, but I don't know its so hard to tell conformation with these pics. He looks like he rides nice though, and is quite the looker.

tinyliny 11-08-2013 10:54 PM

he looks like he is well worth the look see.

1322271927queen 11-08-2013 11:34 PM

Probably A Fine Horse For You

I think he's a very nice horse and looks like he has some professional training in him. He doesn't look so over at the knee that it would cause a problem jumping a few cross rails or a 18 inch course. I would worry about those ankles. They look very swollen. Fine for pleasure riding but if your going to jump him, you should get a professional or vet's opinion on his ankles.