The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to make her move? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-make-her-move-30825/)

appylover31803 07-02-2009 06:10 PM

How to make her move?

When Vega is in heat, she doesn't want to do anything unless you are up by her head leading her. Which is fine for grooming and everything, but to do any undersaddle work, or lunging/long lining work, its like trying to move a brick wall.

Sometimes once she takes a few steps, she'll keep going but I feel like I'm constantly nagging her to keep the tempo.

I had wanted to lease her out, and had someone come out to test rider her and Vega would barely move. I know she's not like that when she's not in heat, but its hard to tell someone that doesn't know her that.

Is there anything I can do to get her to move better when in heat?

White Foot 07-02-2009 11:07 PM

You could try some supplements, otherwise I think your stuck with a moody mare until shes done with her heat cycle. This is why I love geldings haha. I hate listening to my mare whinny all day to the boys down the road. If she doesn't move you could try to keep a crop or something and smacking her butt.

Solon 07-02-2009 11:29 PM

Our vet says the heat cycle can be pretty painful for some mares and they just shut down. There are implants and other hormone treatments that work really well.

chrispy 07-03-2009 01:27 AM

I would ask the vet. Any change in behavior means something isn't right. I know when I'm cramping and PMS-y, I don't want to move, either! And I sure wouldn't want to be smacked in the butt! Maybe she just needs the horse equivalent of Motrin.

ilovemyPhillip 07-03-2009 01:49 AM

I think chrispy is right, hehe. I dont know what to tell you other than crops or lunge whips :-)

appylover31803 07-03-2009 12:33 PM

In the beginning of my ownership with Vega, I used a crop and it didn't do anything, so I highly doubt it would do anything now.

I put her on mare magic last summer and it made her quite the aggressive little girl, so I stopped using it with her. I never looked back into supplements as I was just going to deal with it, but with someone possibly leasing her, I dont think they're going to want to pay to lease her to only ride her 3 weeks in a month.

I'll look into supplements and see what does what and i'll also ask my vet about an implant, as well as do research on that to see if that's something I'll want to explore.