The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Can you critique this at all? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/can-you-critique-all-30831/)

juniormylove 07-02-2009 08:25 PM

Can you critique this at all?
 
Sorry for the multitude of videos, I didn't have a chance to put them all together.

[excuse]I had a hip spasm earlier that lesson. I had to get off and wait for it to die down, but for the rest of the lesson my hip was stiff and I was stiff for fear of it spasming again. [/excuse] (:

*please don't critique the horse, he's not mine and I have no control over his training*







Most of the refusals were my fault. I have a tendency to lean at the jumps, and Leo always refuses when you lean. I know better, it just..happens. I'm also riding with a new trainer now who is working on using my seat and legs more around turns and between jumps, so the days of motorcycle turns (Idk if it is him or Scooter who did that) are over.

Other then that, please tear me apart. (:

boxer 07-02-2009 10:10 PM

Leo is an awesomely cute horse! I'm not sure about your jumping as I don't jump much at all. I know I sometimes have a problem with getting ahead as well and anticipating the jump and that has caused refusals for me too. My instructor tells me to look up, not at the jump (gets cranky when I do haha) and to just go with the horse and to push just before the jump. Not sure if that helps at all.

MyBoyPuck 07-04-2009 06:37 PM

Wow, Leo certainly likes to keep riders alert! I can't say much about the jumps since most are head on shots, but you must have a good supple seat since you seem to have no problem staying with him when he suddenly changes direction or runs out.

juniormylove 07-05-2009 03:04 PM

thanks boxer (: I always forget to 'push him off the ground', hence the refusals where he starts to stop a mile away.

haha myboypuck - you could say that XD with a rider that knows how to ride him (and is very aggressive), he'll jump 3'3"-3'6" without a problem. My friend actually leased him for a while, she had no problems. hehe thanks (: I liketo think I have a velcro butt, i usually stay on the horse. i've only fallen off twice, in riding 5 yrs.

Catie79 07-07-2009 07:48 PM

Your pal Leo likes to make sure you're sitting down and sure you want to do this. When he goes he's got a cute jump. Years from now you'll thank him, because I never once saw you actually get ahead of the motion.

I would sell my right stirrup to have heels like yours. Seriously. Now don't stick your toes out. Your leg will be so much more effective if you point them forward so you can really wrap your legs around him.

Because, by gumbo, you need it. I could see most of the stops two strides out. At least he's not dirty about it, but he's one you need to ride right to the base every time. No leaning, no anticipating, no second thoughts or questions, and you need to sit up, shoulders back, and complete confidence. Just leg, leg, leg, drive him up and over.

Be your own personal cheerleader. No, really, it works. Because Leo can tell.

Overall you have a nice, soft hand, but I saw extra hand movement, with the contact to his mouth changing around. Nice, steady feel. Leo likes an excuse to misbehave, so don't give him any.

Good luck!

juniormylove 07-08-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catie79 (Post 345132)
Your pal Leo likes to make sure you're sitting down and sure you want to do this. When he goes he's got a cute jump. Years from now you'll thank him, because I never once saw you actually get ahead of the motion.

thanks, catie! it's funny you say that about the motion, because on another forum, with a different horse, they told me I was jumping ahead consistently? That was last winter though, maybe i've actually gotten better.


Quote:

I would sell my right stirrup to have heels like yours. Seriously. Now don't stick your toes out. Your leg will be so much more effective if you point them forward so you can really wrap your legs around him.
haha thanks! I have a theory about my toes. I used to ride with my toes sticking completely straight forward. Then I was having...I think it was maybe knee pain at that point (some joint is always hurting, i lose track lol) so I tried riding with my toe out *just* a little. It felt better, so it just kind of evolved to...that. I'll definitely try and work on that the next time I ride.

Quote:

Because, by gumbo, you need it. I could see most of the stops two strides out. At least he's not dirty about it, but he's one you need to ride right to the base every time. No leaning, no anticipating, no second thoughts or questions, and you need to sit up, shoulders back, and complete confidence. Just leg, leg, leg, drive him up and over.

Be your own personal cheerleader. No, really, it works. Because Leo can tell.
yeah, i can feel him stopping too! lol if you turn the sound up, you can hear my old trainer yelling at me to do exactly what you just told me. I'm just kind of insecure on him - he used to be a REALLY dirty stopper, and he terrified me. I refused to ride him for probably 6 months while I rode my safety horse.

Quote:

Overall you have a nice, soft hand, but I saw extra hand movement, with the contact to his mouth changing around. Nice, steady feel. Leo likes an excuse to misbehave, so don't give him any.

Good luck!
Thanks (: I hate hate HATE the double reins. I don't even know why they put him in the bit he's in. He was fine in the other one...

I do think my hand with him has gotten MUCH better - here's a picture from Septermber of 2008
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/92608004.jpg
poor pony, right?

vbrill 07-08-2009 02:01 PM

seems to me your getting ahead of yourself mentally and your very eager to jump (I do the same thing) what you want to do to make sure you don't get ahead of yourself is jump a grid but instead of looking at the jumps look completely sideways and let Leo take care of himself you won't feel the need to "help" him jump just concentrate on sitting back and staying with him

juniormylove 07-08-2009 07:06 PM

haha that's funny, I don't want to jump on him at all - i spend most of the time waiting for our turn to be over, lol. I suppose I just want to get over the jump and get it done though..?

mm, grids. I think i did it...one time? two years ago? the closest thing we do now is the combination, which has two strides in between the jump? idk, the jumps are set in more...boring spot.

thank you!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0