The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Covered Arena, Mirrors and "scary things" Progress (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/covered-arena-mirrors-scary-things-progress-30872/)

HalfPass 07-03-2009 01:26 PM

Covered Arena, Mirrors and "scary things" Progress

Hey all...
Well yesterday was a great day. Since my horse has his foot stuff going on and i can not ride him at this time...I would not anyway because he is in the process of adjuting to his new home nad has been learning to be mindful of my space and respect.
So we had our chance Finally to get in the indoor arena when no others were in there...I got to do this two days in a row and the only other time we were inthat arena we hand walked. I am always on the ground at this time because I have no idea what was done when he went to a loady for three months while I was going throug all my injuies..
So ...we went into the arena and I got out the 12 foot cooton line instead of the 25 ft lunge line...I did not want for him to be running up a storm so no need for a big circle...I am not even sure if he has lunged before ...he has stopping issues if he gets going so I try and keep it just slow trot or walk.
The mirros are so funny for him...He looks at himself and thinks it is another horse...he will go right into the mirror and snif his own nose in the "Oh look at me I am a stallion mode" really pretty and kinda cute...
So for working...Idecided to adress every space he consisders a "scary spot"....
The way I do this is to lung him near the scary object or spot ...in this case the mirrors and the step ups for mounting. Those are red so he looks at those cross eyed.
We did really well in all the four cornors of the arena. He did not explod or freak out and really listened well. I had many compliments on what I was doing in there and some questions on the types of things I was doing. All things related to natural horsemanship.
The end result was a horse that moved nicely in each corner of the arean by each once scary object in both directions...
I think it was important for me to turn the heat up and ask for more impulsion inhis trot if he was anticipating a freak out per-say by the mounting blok or the mirror....
Once he was used to this in one direction it was really easy and smooth to ask for a chnge of direction right into the corner and eventually in every corner of that areana he finally wa able to move both direction on the short line at the walk and not balk at the objects.
This particular area is hard to photograph in or I would have some pics taken. The arena is in the center of the indoor barn with all stalls and paddocks surrounding it. SO on the outside of the arean there is always somthing happenng. A person tacking up a horse or a person cleaning up stalls...so not only are there thing inside the arean he was thinking about the outside too...
After an hour of this he was cool headed and very calm in all corners.....
Yeah...we had only on incident where he balked at a mirror and tried to do a smal twist and go the other way....As i had knee surgery a few months ago i was at least able to get to the wrong direction side quickly and send him on...yeah....so the thought of rearing went away quite quickly when he realized i meant business....
Im so amazed! My daily dedication to my horse and his personal fears of being in a new environment and to his foot and pain issue which have been dealt with and will take more time to get better before i can address riding him, has really paid off
Don't get me wrong....There are days i go out there and I just want to rip his head off....Um hello ...we just did this yesterday????? But I just start back at square one with him and he calms down and then I am keeping a calm mind and a calm unannoyed body language which is so huge for me...
Even though my horse was at my parents for 5 years while I recovered from a few different unfortunate injuries, the horse was taught all CA's Round Pen excerises and also was sent to a woman who did ride him daily for 3 months...I do not know what she taught him while riding him and I personally have only ridden him a few times for a short period of time.
I figure he is still young (8) and I will start from scratch...except the fact that he knows some of these excersisies better then I do...lol....
I just try and continue to be consistent and learn to read whats going on with him....
Two people complimented me on the Horse and his looks but what they said about how he has changed and what I was doing with him was what made me feel good....
I give him support and reinforcement of doing a good job and this is the first time I have recieved this from some of the people at this barn. So that just made my day....
I am always open to suggestions of other things to work on. Remember we are only do ground work.
YEAH! My package with new training tools and stuff just arrived so I am glad i decided to wait to go see Tiny this afternoon!!!
Just wanted to share with you all our little piece of progress....:wink:
Half Pass