The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Gypsie colicked/choked (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/gypsie-colicked-choked-30888/)

Britt 07-03-2009 06:37 PM

Gypsie colicked/choked

My mare colicked and choked... I had Gypsie and Dakota out in the yard to graze for a bit and went to check on them. I found Dakota just fine, but Gypsie took a bit longer. When I found her, she was standing with her head nearly on the ground and she nickered at me. She almost NEVER nickers at me in the yard...

I was going to lead her back into the yard (she was in the garden) when she seemed to choke and her front legs started to buckle and green goo came pouring out of her mouth and nose. I freaked for a few minutes before hollering to my grandma that Gypsie was Ďsickí and putting Dakota up.

I walked her to my cousins to get my cousin to walk with me until Gypsie was ok... in the 5 minutes it took to reach my cousins, Gypsieís legs buckled about three more times and she was really agitated... swishing her tail and dripping in sweat, not wanting to walk or anything.

We walked her about a mile and a half before she seemed ok... Sheís fine now. I walked her an extra half-mile just to make sure and watched her for a few minutes in the yard before I put her up...

Iím still not sure whether she choked, colicked, or both... Iím also wondering whether or not she ate something that didnít agree with her, as my grandmother was spraying round-up the other day... but Iím likely to dismiss that option as she wasnít grazing anywhere near where the round-up was sprayed...

Iím just glad it wasnít worse.

MIEventer 07-03-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

when she seemed to choke and her front legs started to buckle and green goo came pouring out of her mouth and nose.
Yeah, that is a sign of choking - when Nelson choked not that long ago, his head was hanging low and had green goopy sloppy slime/snot coming out of his nose and mouth - that is beacuse his body was making the stuff quickly, to aid the choke to go down - but due to the blockage, they cannot swallow the goop, so it comes out the other end.

Scarey, scarey, scarey isn't it! I am glad she is ok, but you might want to have a vet check her over just to be sure.

The thing about choke is that if there is a blockage, and they continue to eat - it will end up worse...to the point of needing an operation, to even death.

If she is fine now, *I assume you've taken her temp?* I wouldn't worry about a continuation of choke - but keep an eye on her. I would have a vet come and assess her though just to be sure.

Luckily she came out of it - but that isn't always the case - most chokes need to be tubed, like Nelson's case.

Britt 07-03-2009 07:02 PM

The vet is visiting my friends place this coming Wednesday... I'm thinknig about having him to make a quick run by here on his way out...

I have called him though, and he said that as long as she's acting normally again, she should be fine, but to keep an eye on her for the rest of the week.

It was extremely scary... I was ok until everything came out all right, then I realized that I was shaking...

kitten_Val 07-03-2009 09:00 PM

Wow! I'd be scared to death too. Good you talked to the vet and that she's fine now!

Peggysue 07-04-2009 08:04 AM

If it ahppens again PLEASE DO NOT try to make her move... call the vet

AussieDaisyGirl 07-04-2009 09:39 AM

How scary :( I'm glad she's better now!

HalfPass 07-04-2009 11:12 AM

Hi there...
I was visiting my parents place and this very same thing happened to one of my dads older brood mares. her poor little foal was stumped and just kept walking around us looking scared...
The mare actually was coughing and chocking up green/yellow slimey stuff....
My mom and I had been inside the house working on a craft project and did not see him waving at us..he came in the house frantic...I was in my PJ's and threw my shoes on in a hurry...chased my dad out the door...
My dad took ahold of her as her head was way dwn...he literally stuck his hand into her mouth and down into her throat it seemed and pulled out some yucky looking green yellow stuff ...
A few minutes later she went down...whe had it coming out of her nose and mouth and was really in a bad way. I got a bucket of water and a towel while she was down and my dad had the vet on the phone....
I was washing all the yuck from her mouth and nose....I finally pulled her us and after about 10 more minuets she seemed to be fine and she stareted to eat again...
The vet said she probably just choked while eating...it happens but when your right there watching it is not only sad but an adrenalen rush...
I am glad to hear your hore is better now.....
After my dads mare was fine and her foal was allowed to nurse again I went inthe house and stripped and took a hot showe...you never know whats in that stuf, lol
New pj's on...lol
I am glad the horse is better now...let us know what the vet says if anything...
Half Pass

mindyme 07-04-2009 03:47 PM

How Scarey, I am glad she is doing better now.