The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Free OTTB Gelding I got this morning (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/free-ottb-gelding-i-got-morning-308921/)

NRW 11-07-2013 05:23 PM

Free OTTB Gelding I got this morning

5 Attachment(s)
I wanted some opinions on this gelding I got this morning. I saw him on a facebook group for free last night and said I'd come pick him up in the morning. I have been looking for an extra horse for friends and family to ride. I'm hoping this guy works out, he seems to have a great temprament so far.
The family I got him from got him from a sort of neglect situation...owner wasn't really caring for him right, and said he was too buddy sour with her other horse so she didnt want him anymore. These people gave him to me because he was bullying their 30 year old mare.
cons to this gelding: his top front teeth are filed down to him gums, so I don't know exactly how old he is. His tattoo is faded in his lip(any tips for trying to read these? I didn't get a good look, but maybe can later..), and don't have his registration papers...were lost by some previous previous owner...
They thought he had a trailering issue as well, but he got on my stock trailer normally...I think he might just have an aversion to the horse trailers, since that's what they had and had hauled him in.
Not much more information on him... the people I got him from said they saw pictures of him being rode by kids.
I have a trainer who will ride him a couple times before I do probably. So far his temprament seems great though, he lunges nicely and was easy to groom(seemed happy to have been groomed).

I'd like to know what you guys think of his conformation.
I know he needs to gain some weight.
He measures inbetween 16 and 16.1
Weight tape said he's close to 950 pounds now.
I'm guessing he is in his late teens as well.

Only things I can pick out about him that I think are that wrong are maybe his front pasterns are long?

But remember...I got this guy for free :)
So let me know what you think, and suggestions to help him along.
Thanks!

Attachment 314489
Attachment 314481
Attachment 314505
Attachment 314497
Attachment 314513

Pyrros 11-07-2013 05:37 PM

I agree on the somewhat long pasterns, it almost looks like his front ones might be longer than his hinds? His shoulder is rather straight but that seems to be a fairly common thing in thoroughbreds. Looks like he's got those big 'ole TB withers! I'd love to see what he looks like once he's filled out more.

On the tattoo, I learned a few things when trying to read my old gelding's. It was especially hard in his case cause he was 20+ and the ink had faded a decent amount.

Lift and hold the lip up, this is harder with horses that don't like their mouth messed with! Use a towel or some sort of cloth to dab some of the saliva off of the area over the tattoo. (Saliva makes it shinier and harder to read or get pictures of) if you can take a picture and then mess with the contrast and stuff sometimes that will help, depending on how faded the ink is. Plus regardless maybe some other people can help you decipher it!

Also I was told black lights will make even the more faded areas show up, I'm not sure if it works or not though as I never tried it.

Thoroughbred tattoos are usually 5 numbers preceded by a letter. Some tattoos only have 4 numbers, usually indicating the horse is over 25. The letter tells you the year of birth. Each year is assigned a number, though obviously some letters have 2 years they apply to.

Such as, E is 1975 but also 2001.

Jockey club has a free tattoo look up thing, if you can manage to decipher parts of it it will even work with just a partial tattoo!

With jockey club they also include the horse's whorls as part of the identification too.

KSAQHA 11-07-2013 09:40 PM

He looks like a nice aged guy. As far as his front teeth go, highly unlikely they were filed down...he may be a cribber. That will do it to those front teeth!

NRW 11-07-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSAQHA (Post 4050897)
He looks like a nice aged guy. As far as his front teeth go, highly unlikely they were filed down...he may be a cribber. That will do it to those front teeth!

Actually that's what the people said that gave him to me, they said the people before told them he cribs. But they had him a month and never saw him crib. I didn't see him crib today yet either. Not much to crib on in my pastures where he is now.

His teeth are completely worn down, I will try to get a picture.

And thank you Pyrros! I will try what you said with the tattoo :) maybe I can find a black light and try that too! I would love to know his age.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 11-08-2013 09:12 PM

Cribbers can be a bit sporatic. I have a cribbing/windsucking two year old and she'll go a month, two, sometimes longer- without ever acting like the cribber that she is, but then something in set her off and she'll start doing it again full force. Cribbing, even at her age, has work her front teeth down significantly, but usually it is uneven (she only cribs on her right side so her right front teeth are short while the others are normal)and you can tell. I have heard of teeth being filed down so that age can't be determined, but not often.

He looks liked a nice enough guy to me. He's light boned as many TBs are and has long pasterns/cannons but I think he'll be nice to look at when he gets some weight on his body.

amp23 11-08-2013 09:15 PM

He's pretty darn cute for a free horse! I'd love to see him gain some weight, he will really be a looker. I think it'd be cool to be able to find out his age and such though, good luck with that!

NRW 11-09-2013 12:17 AM

I talked more with the people I got him from. I think they said they sent info in to the jockey club and couldn't find info on him as a thoroughbred. I'm thinking about trying the aqha registry now. And maybe the jockey club once myself. I'm pretty sure his tattoo is only 4 numbers and then a letter. If so...he's pretty dang old. But I don't think his body shows that at all, no his behavior. His teeth do a bit, but I really have no experience with what a cribber's mouth looks like. A friend sent a picture of his teeth to her horse dental friend and that lady thought he looked pretty old too from his teeth.
I'm still planning on getting him to put on some weight, and start working with him to start riding him.
He does have trouble with hay when he eats some I'm probably going to get some cubes to soak for him. Poor guy, he's really sweet though and hasn't done anything bad yet. I saddled him up today and he was more than excellent about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pyrros 11-09-2013 02:56 AM

Something else I just thought of, Standardbred and QH racers have lip tattoos as well.

A Quarter Horse tattoo has four or five numbers followed by a letter. Basically the opposite of a Thoroughbred's tattoo.

A Standardbred tattoo always has five characters, either a letter and four numbers or two letters and three numbers. The first letter in the tattoo indicates the year of birth.

I don't know if it's discernible to tell how many letters there are vs letters or are which are in what places but I thought maybe that might be of use anyway.

NRW 11-09-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrros (Post 4059961)
Something else I just thought of, Standardbred and QH racers have lip tattoos as well.

A Quarter Horse tattoo has four or five numbers followed by a letter. Basically the opposite of a Thoroughbred's tattoo.

A Standardbred tattoo always has five characters, either a letter and four numbers or two letters and three numbers. The first letter in the tattoo indicates the year of birth.

I don't know if it's discernible to tell how many letters there are vs letters or are which are in what places but I thought maybe that might be of use anyway.

Yeah, I'm going to look him up with the quarter horse racing. A friend saw him and said he looked quarter horse, he's got a very fluffy winter coat already. And she said his face looks qh.
But when she saw him walk she thought tb.

Do they race appendix horses? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

wyominggrandma 11-09-2013 09:14 AM

that's what I was going to say. Appendix QH. Yes, they do race them.
My daughters barrel horse looked totally thoroughbred, had a lip tattoo.
Finally, with the help of the forum we found out he was appendix QH.
Found his race record and all his information. It was fun to know