This is my house---don't get used to it!
They are coming to crash my house down next week: the insurance company will no longer insure it, because there is too much wrong with it. To fix it would cost a fortune, so we are gonna knock it down and build something new.
The bank hasn't exactly said yes yet, but since we will be homeless as of next week, I am hopeful that they will. Wish me luck...
Wow! Good luck!
Why wouldn't you keep that place, even uninsured, while you build the new house? Maybe there isn't enough room on your property, or the town won't let you, but that's what I would do.
Where are you going to live while you build? In the barn? My brother bought an RV to live in with his family when they were in a similar situation. After building, he sold the RV for almost what he paid for it. Cheaper than rent and he could live right where he was building.
Our town won't let you live in an RV unless you are in an approved RV campground. So, we are going to live on the boat while we build, which in Maine, is no picnic... two people, two Newfies, no showers or toilets.... But, while we don't have a TV at home, there is an 80" TV on the boat, so WHOOPIE!!! I think we will join a fitness club for the winter, just to use the facilities! And we will be so healthy!
A boat, in Maine, in November/December/January???? Yikes! Hopefully you will have lots of good weather for building.
It would be interesting to watch as things develop. Do you have destruction pics already?
Not yet: "D" day is set for Thursday. I am keeping the camera handy, and hope to get some good wreckage shots. I'm excited, but also a bit scared; the bank hasn't given us a firm okay yet, just casual approval. But, hey! If they don't come through, we'll just stick with the boat. Tie a big barge on behind for Ahab.
I admire that.
Hope it all works out !
Hu...I wish we could knock our house down!!! Lol
I bought one in tough shape and set to work on changing that. 3/4 of the house had to be rewired including an upgraded panel and service. Cost me less than $300 whereas the professional estimates were $2200 and up. Two large windows occupied most of the north wall in the living room. When the weather warmed I gutted the wall down to the framing, reframed a new opening and reduced it to one window with the other acting like a storm window. Redid the sockets, new insulation and vapor barrier and replaced panelling. Cost-$50. The master bedroom was gutted, rewired, new sockets and switches, new insulation and vapor barrier. The best part was when the electricity inspector stopped by and gave me kudos for my work. Even learned how to solder so the hot water tank could be moved.
Subbing for updates. I must say, despite it being a problem for you, there's something of character in your old house.
Wait, if the bank doesn't come through, wouldn't you be better off with a crappy old house, than no house? Even if there isn't insurance, if it is paid for, then does insurance matter? I'm not sure I would bulldoze the existing unless I knew I could build again.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.