The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Watercolor Arabian Colt (: reviews? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/watercolor-arabian-colt-reviews-309649/)

SpinningAubrey 11-09-2013 12:10 AM

Watercolor Arabian Colt (: reviews?

Done of an adorable little Arabian stud colt, this was a commission from one of my clients, a 24"x48" canvas with watercolor. She actually asked me to stop at this point, I was planning on adding a few more details but she liked the style enough to commission another after receiving it! I've seen such lovely watercolors here, I wondered what y'all thought?

Note, the outside front hoof wasn't in the picture she gave me, so I just faded it off. (:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2daxe2u.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 11-09-2013 12:20 AM

it has a nice feeling of movement, and perhaps that's what the client wnated to preserve by stopping you here. I would have drawn in the foot, even if the photo did not show it. It looks, to me, odd that it just goes to a point.

the background choice color is a nice compliment to the red of the foal, but the way it goes AROUND the foal, instead of behind him is a abit unfinished looking. you can make the foal look like he occupies real space more by having the background be a true background. you have to put it down right up to the edge of the thing in the foreground, although you need not do it if you want to keep a purely "graphic" image and are not trying for a representation of reality. Be aaware that you must have one block of color DRY before you touch another block of wet color up to it. always dry your piece between each stage.

also, the red brown foal will look more alive and more full of character with a vibrant eye, with a "shine spot" onit. this must be left white as you paint, since you cannot add white later, you must be careful not to paint it out as you go.

hope that helps. such a large piece! I rarely work larger than 24 by 16, tops.

SpinningAubrey 11-09-2013 12:40 AM

Thanks! I was REALLY running out of space at the bottom and that hoof just wasn't going to fit without redrawing or touching the bottom. If I could go back, I definitely would have filled in the wash more against the body, to get rid of all the space between the green and him.

Your comment on the drying made me chuckle. This was one of my first big watercolor attempts and I got so excited I rushed it a few times and they definitely ran together in a few places! XD thanks Tinylily (:
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 11-09-2013 02:02 AM

I am just learning how to paint with watercolors. It is far more technical than I realized. it is by far the hardest media to paint int. Good paper, a hairdrier and patience are premium!

SpinningAubrey 11-10-2013 10:16 PM

How do you use a hair dryer without the colors running? I've been thinking about this and just haven't been able to figure out how it would be possible to do even lines with wind on wet paint!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 11-13-2013 01:28 AM

the wetter the paper, the farther you must hold the hair dryer away, and have it on low.

you may be using too much water. have some folded paper towels next to your palette and with this you can control the amount of water in your brush.
pigment will always move from wet into dry. So, if you put an area of really wet next to something that is barely wet, the color from the wet area will bleed into the less wet (drier) area. Those are called "blooms". if you don't want that, you must dry each area before painting the next area, or at least make sure that the next area yo apply is NOT wetter than the one it touches upon. you can also lay a wash of color OVER another, but the first MUST BE DRY!