The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   The balanced seat (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/balanced-seat-30982/)

Spyder 07-05-2009 04:12 PM

The balanced seat

A question was raised on another forum about a "correct" seat and certainly being able to sit a spook is helpful but I have seen many a rider that can sit a horse very prettily and even hang in there if the horse spooks but are completely useless when asking for individual moves or changes.

Some people have an "instictive" seat but not an "educated" one.

So lets see what you think a good seat really is.

Solon 07-05-2009 04:17 PM

Yep, the first paragraph almost quotes Museler on his thinking too.

Spyder 07-05-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 343344)
Yep, the first paragraph almost quotes Museler on his thinking too.

I have not read his book. I have my own thoughts based on real life principles and experiences.

Solon 07-05-2009 11:46 PM

Okay....

MIEventer 07-06-2009 12:18 AM

Great question Spyder and I have to say - I have a very defensive, secure and solid seat - but not an educated one.

I have to keep reminding myself to stop over using it - my seat causes Nelson to drop his back and throw his head up, beacuse it is over active. And I don't use my seat bones in accordance to movements either...I am just starting to learn how to not only quiet my seat done, but start to activate my seat bones when I should shoulders in, half passes and turn on the forehand - but one step at a time.

I find it is either 1 or the other with lower level riders such as the majority here. Either it is too light and move around in 1/2 seats because that is all they know how to do due to jumping continuously...if their horse spooks - down they go, or if their horse takes a misstep, down they go. If their horse refuses or veers out - they are definately effected.

To the other spectrum, such as myself, to too heavy, too over active/loud of a seat.

I grew up riding green broke horses, so I learnt how to ride deep and solid - beacuse I'm a defensive rider. I still have yet to learn how to conform for my horse.

Mercedes 07-06-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

...but are completely useless when asking for individual moves or changes.
Movements and changes require more than just the seat. They require a combination of aids, given in a certain order, with constant subtle corrections, releases, etc...

Spyder 07-06-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 343815)
Movements and changes require more than just the seat. They require a combination of aids, given in a certain order, with constant subtle corrections, releases, etc...

Exactly.

MyBoyPuck 07-06-2009 03:22 PM

I must admit, the most progress I've made with aquiring an effective seat has come when I've been out trail riding. I always start out a little cautious, good contact on the reins, little tense in my seat, waiting to see what items my horse is going to decide is a monster that day. By the end of the ride, my reins are at the buckle, my seat is so relaxed that I can feel every thing he's doing or going to do. All steering, gait changes come from my position in the saddle. It's fantastic. If only it would carry over to my ring riding!

One of the biggest breakthroughs I had in my riding came when I learned about the timing of the aids. You can have the most secure, independent seat in the world. If you try to apply an aid when the leg you're trying to influence isn't in it's engagement stage, the horse simply cannot answer back with the proper response.