The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Eventing - Different Areas (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/eventing-different-areas-31010/)

barefoot 07-05-2009 09:26 PM

Eventing - Different Areas

I personally derive in Area 1, and a girl began boarding at my barn from Ohio a few years ago. She evented at the preliminary level and when she began eventing here she tried prelim and it was too advanced for her - She had to bump down to novice. I've heard that Area 1 is the most difficult area, any thoughts?

LiveToJump 07-05-2009 10:51 PM

I was showing in Ohio, I don't know what area it was though, I was just doing the Mini Trials w/ the young dutch warmblood I was working with.

Now I am in Area V. I'm hoping to start competing rated out here in the next year, once the greenie I just bought has some "baby event" miles under him. :D

Love to hear from everyone else!

MIEventer 07-05-2009 10:57 PM

I think it all depends on the course and the rate of the course.

For example, I can compete at a non USEA event and do Novice and yawn at the course....but I can ride Novice at a 3 star rated course and be faced with not only difficult questions, but fences at max height.

Then the next comp, could still be USEA recognized, but the course be flat, plain and simple - while the first non recognized be 10x more difficult.

It all depends on who designed the course, the rating of the fascillity.

LiveToJump 07-05-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 343642)
I think it all depends on the course and the rate of the course.

For example, I can compete at a non USEA event and do Novice and yawn at the course....but I can ride Novice at a 3 star rated course and be faced with not only difficult questions, but fences at max height.

Then the next comp, could still be USEA recognized, but the course be flat, plain and simple - while the first non recognized be 10x more difficult.

It all depends on who designed the course, the rating of the fascillity.

Very well said, I completely agree.

MIEventer 07-05-2009 11:12 PM

For example - this is Richland Park. This fascillity is just 20 minutes away from me and I go every year to watch. It is a 3 star rated course, and I LOVE watching the 4 star rated riders come and ride their clients younger horses....

Anyways....I'll be riding there next year, Novice - check out the Novice Course:

Click on "Courses" and then scroll down until you see the map, and click on each red dot - a picture of each fence will appear....I've walked that course, and the pictures do not do the fences any justice. This is a maxed out course.

Richland Park Horse Trials

barefoot 07-06-2009 11:21 AM

Very interesting - Yes, some courses are easier than others I agree. But when it comes down to it.. do you think it's fair when riders from different areas go and compete in the Championships?

StormyBlues 07-06-2009 12:19 PM

I am in Area V, but we compeate in Area III and sometimes down in FL. In Feb. when the O' Conner's hold their first trial, I know that course is gunna be maxed! I really like Holly Hill's course, Greenwood is REALLY hard from what I hear, Champagne Run is always cool to go around, and I hear Ocala is REALLY hard!

MIEventer 07-06-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

But when it comes down to it.. do you think it's fair when riders from different areas go and compete in the Championships?
When they pick the Championship grounds for the comp to be on, I think that they should choose the most demanding of courses in the area - and that be a course that is certfieid and recognized and approved by USEA, constructed by a certified course designer.

But, it is all up to the people to put it on and run it. Just ride the course to the best of your abillity and Git Er Done.

StormyBlues 07-06-2009 03:11 PM

^ hahahahahaha, a Yankee saying Giter Dun..... HAHAHAHA made my day

LiveToJump 07-06-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 344036)
^ hahahahahaha, a Yankee saying Giter Dun..... HAHAHAHA made my day

I bet everyone in the whole world says that. Its not just a southern thing.
I heard it when I lived up north, and quite honestly, I haven't heard it as much living in the south (and I am further south than you are).

It is pretty much universal. No need to be stereotypical.