The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Laminitis (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/laminitis-31019/)

My2Geldings 07-05-2009 11:47 PM

Laminitis

I don't think I need to express how mad I was after watching this. They have a few videos. I couldn't even finish watching the first one. People are ridiculous! GAHHHHH!

The last few videos are very graphic.

Solon 07-05-2009 11:58 PM

Can you say what is going on? I don't really want to watch them but am curious.

Brighteyes 07-06-2009 04:47 AM

Oh my lord, that's terrible! I didn't get to watch the whole thing because of bad internet, but I think I get the feel of it. Ugh. I may just have nightmares about that.

hotreddun 07-06-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 343672)
Can you say what is going on? I don't really want to watch them but am curious.

The gist of it was "to little to late." The well-meaning owner was loading up a horse with oats and green pastures. The horse had chronic laminitis symptoms but neither her veterinarian or previous farrier recognized or cared about it. OR...she didn't listen to them when they told her what to do...that part wasn't videotaped. The horse is completely foundered by the time of the tape. So to little to late...the owner said "I think I can get the oats down to about a cup a day" when the horse was down on the ground immobile. Pure ignorance. The person taking the video is the new farrier. Basically it is just documenting the death of this horse hoping that it could help someone else out on the internet. I hope everyone watches it....I really do. Laminitis is a *itch and more people need to learn about it.

Solon 07-06-2009 12:25 PM

Poor horse. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson.

Horse Hippie 07-06-2009 03:17 PM

I think I have seen this before...did it mention how much oats they were feeding to begin with?

My horses get - and yes they are spoiled - Genesis Organic Oats. Genesis Certified Organic Horse Feed I am trying to get my horses off commercial feeds.

BUUUUT, they only get a 1/4 of a cup a day - and that's only if they are around the barn when I am out dealing with my milk bottle fed calf!