The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Test Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/test-riding-310577/)

ForeverSunRider 11-10-2013 06:10 PM

Test Riding

How many horses did you test ride before you bought your horse?

This is assuming you didn't breed for your personal horse or if they were a "free-bee."

Before I decided on Sonny I test rode five horses. What about you?

TurnNBurn144 11-10-2013 07:00 PM

before i bought the mare i had i test rode 3 horses. my 2 geldings were free-bees.
Posted via Mobile Device

Customcanines 11-10-2013 07:18 PM

LOL I bought the first horse I looked at and didn't even ride her. (Didn't have a vet check, either, or see anyone else ride her). I was looking for a 12 year old gelding, and wound up with a 2 year old filly. By the way, I got lucky - she's absolutely perfect!!! Sound, bombproof and willing. There was just something in her eyes...

NorthernHorse 11-10-2013 07:43 PM

The last horse I got, I was in the market for a weanling-2yr old filly, I guess I wasn't "test riding" more like "test groundwork" lol. I inquired about half a dozen or so before I went and looked at a yearling, and after handling her, I couldn't run away fast enough, then after that I went and looked at a little 2 yr old filly and after 10 minutes with her, I was set on her coming home with me, and that afternoon she was loaded up in the trailer and headed home.

alexischristina 11-10-2013 08:11 PM

I've cycled through plenty of horses, and it's been more than just "test rides" :lol:

My first horse was a freebie / rescue, an ancient Arabian mare who was perfect (or would have been if she was ten years younger). She stayed sound until she started losing her teeth, eventually old age got her. Around the same time two more 'freebies' fell into our lap. Two more rescues, much less perfect than the first horse (not that any of that applies to the question).

I went horse-less for awhile and now I have Jackson BUT before him I tried out a handful of horses: 2 or 3 that I passed on immediately, another 2 oldies that didn't last long (one was retired to pasture, the other retired to a trail string), a greenie that was entirely the wrong horse for me and 1 that I free leased for about a year. It was the middle of my free lease when I went to see him and knew he was basically 'the one'. Horse shopping is a long process that can span a couple of years. :lol:

Penny4YourThoughts 11-10-2013 08:35 PM

I bought the first pony I tried much to everyone at my barn's dismay! Everyone hated her and thought she wouldn't amount to anything, but I knew she was the one for me :) Now we beat them in jumpers, horses and ponies!

CandyCanes 11-11-2013 03:12 AM

I tried about.... 7? 8? Can't remember!

BarrelRacer23 11-11-2013 10:41 AM

I looked at and rode 3 others before buying Link. That's a record I think, I was early shopping a bit to though I might have bought one if I had had my mare sold at the time. Friends had him so I tried him while I could. Normally I've always gotten the first horse I look at and it's worked for me. Link was pretty much expected to be bought when we called about him, as long as he was what the ad said. He was so he came home right away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 11-11-2013 11:40 AM

This round in the horse world (returning after a ten year break) I bought the first horse I looked at in person, though I had inquired on several prospective horses in the months leading up to it. I was looking for a green 3 or 4 year old to finish, but ended up with a halter broke long-yearling because the bloodlines were nice, the price was considerably below budget, and I just had a gut feeling about him. 9 months later, I do believe I snatched up a diamond in the rough for a STEAL.

kbg7506 11-11-2013 12:41 PM

We looked at and test rode 12 before we found our new mare. Have had her for a month and a half now and still have no complaints with her!