The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Comparable to a Pelham (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/comparable-pelham-31064/)

FoxyRoxy1507 07-06-2009 04:27 PM

Comparable to a Pelham

Hey guys my horse Swoop goes in a Jointed Snaffle Pelham and loves it and i need to find something comparable to that that i can use in eventing and dressage. So can you guys give me some ideas and maybe personal experience. Ive tried regular snaffles on him and he doesnt like them and he likes to have some leverage. eventually i'm going to try him in a myler wide barrel comfort snaffle that i'm getting for my other gelding but i would like some idea and input!

Thanks a bunch. cuz Hey guys my horse Swoop goes in a Jointed Snaffle Pelham and loves it and i need to find something comparable to that that i can use in eventing and dressage. So can you guys give me some ideas and maybe personal experience. Ive tried regular snaffles on him and he doesnt like them and he likes to have some leverage. eventually i'm going to try him in a myler wide barrel comfort snaffle that i'm getting for my other gelding but i would like some idea and input!

Thanks a bunch. cuz hopefully i'll start eventing later this year. Swoop has done some eventing hes not really scared of anything we've just never gone to an actual show yet, and my other gelding, that's what he was trained for and we've done some but not really any shows either. he was trained up to Prelim and training, he's done it all kind of horse and he's only 10.
hopefully i'll start eventing later this year. Swoop has done some eventing hes not really scared of anything we've just never gone to an actual show yet, and my other gelding, that's what he was trained for and we've done some but not really any shows either. he was trained up to Advanced he's done it all kind of horse and he's only 10.

RacePony007 07-06-2009 08:58 PM

U could use a kimberwick, or a mullen snaffle bit! Just make sure they arnt rubber covered bits!

FoxyRoxy1507 07-07-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacePony007 (Post 344257)
U could use a kimberwick, or a mullen snaffle bit! Just make sure they arnt rubber covered bits!

yea i may try the kimberwick but and then mayb just use my pelham with my bit conveters for stadium and cross country. i'll just try a bunch of different things and see what he likes bc he is suck a picky horse! he loves the stupid chain thats on the bit, he is such a weirdo

RacePony007 07-19-2009 11:29 PM

my horse prefers leverage much more as well! I bought him a loose ring snaffle, an eggbutt snaffle and i just previously found my wonder bit, so i tried that... he liked it a little better cause i put a snug curb strap on it but, all and all he prefers a pelham!

luvs2ride1979 07-20-2009 12:28 AM

For Dressage, you'll need a simple snaffle. You cannot use a ported Myler for Dressage. Try a french link egg butt, like one of these:
Browsing Store - Korsteel JP Copper Oval Mouth Eggbutt Snaffle Bit
Browsing Store - JP French Mouth Eggbutt Snaffle Bit
Browsing Store - JP Oval Mouth Eggbutt Snaffle Bit
Browsing Store - Korsteel Dr. Bristol Eggbutt Snaffle Bit - has a bit more control with the Dr Bristol, and is now allowed.

For jumping, stick with your Pelham. I preseronally like a mullen with double reins (not a converter) or a roller middle.
Browsing Store - Korsteel Eggbutt Mullen Mouth Pelham Bit

If you want to try something more "mild" and use just one set of reins, then I agree, a Kimberwhick. I like a low port or roller middle.
Browsing Store - Korsteel Uxeter Kimberwicke Bit
Browsing Store - Korsteel Double Hinged Uxeter Kimberwick Bit with Copper Roller

Misfit 07-20-2009 09:26 AM

Personally, I really hate kimberwickes. I find them very crude bits, in that you have no control over you're using the curb or not. Same goes with pelhams w/converters. You have the curb in play all the time, there's no room for discretion regarding when your horse actually needs the curb.

For stadium, I'd use the pelham w/two reins (sans converters). Perhaps for cc you could get away with using converters, but that's a personal choice.

As for dressage, you need a plain snaffle.

Sunny06 07-20-2009 08:10 PM

^^ Are mullen-mouthed pelhams acceptable?

luvs2ride1979 07-20-2009 10:10 PM

Mullen mouth pelhams are better than a single joint. There's no nut-cracker effect and the rein pressure is spread more evenly.

Sunny06 07-21-2009 09:02 AM

^^ I was at my local tack store and ALMOST bought it, but thought I'd just go home and read more about it just incase (because bits aren't returnable).

RacePony007 07-22-2009 06:22 PM

A solid mouth leverage bit is not acceptable whe using two hands!!! A jointed or a french link, or even a myler comfort snaffle (my fave), is okay! Otherwise when you pick up the snaffle rein you will be shifting the bit all cockeyed in his mouth and pricking him with the shank on the other side! I use a french link pelham on my horse and it dosn't have a true nutcracker action to it, so it works perfectly! And bit converters eliminate the proper action in the pelham! Don't use unless absolutely needed!