The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Switching from English to Western- please help! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/switching-english-western-please-help-31079/)

RocShrimp 07-06-2009 07:46 PM

Switching from English to Western- please help!

Hi,

I've decided that I want to switch from riding English to Western riding and I really need some help. I have lots of friends that ride Western and I have been wanting to for some time now. I am currently studdying the parts of the Western Saddle and Western Bridle. I really know nothing about Western Riding. I've been looking for some places to take lessons so I'm good there. If you have any basic tips for me, please let me know.

Thanks!:D

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 09:21 AM

I used to ride western and i know a really good trainer/instructer. Idk where you live but she is in Ulster PA and her name is Donna Seeley. Make sure that your stirrups are longer than english because it is more laid back. keep your legs really tight. I switched from western to english so if i remember anything else i will tell you!

RocShrimp 07-07-2009 10:18 AM

Thanks. I have a question about the Western Sturrips. Are they already that long or can you adjust the length? Because if I wanted to buy a Western Saddle, would I need to buy one that fits my leg length or just any one? Thanks for your help!
:)

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 10:22 AM

They adjust. if you lift the stirrup flap up you can see that it adjusts. when you buy a western saddle, i know this is going to sound funny, but make sure it fits your butt. what size english saddle do you use?

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 10:26 AM

i take a 18 because i am 5'7 so i would take a 16-17 in western. take it a size or two down from english! iv only been riding for a couple years and i went to donna seeley so i know alot! i did western pleasure for a year then huntseat and jumping for 2.

RocShrimp 07-07-2009 10:26 AM

Well the current English saddle that I have is too big for me so I'll just have to try different ones out. I'm not planning on buying anytime soon I was just wondering, but thank you for the help. I'll remember that! :) Also, what do you mean by keeping your legs tight, do you mean keeping your thighs on the saddle and keeping contact in the saddle? -a little confused. :)

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 10:31 AM

yes iv taken some bad falls because i have not had my legs tight. its not as easy to fall western as is engish but yes keep your thighs really tight!

RocShrimp 07-07-2009 10:36 AM

ok, see I heard legs and I was thinking calves and that numbs the horses, I thought, but thanks! I don't have any questions right now but I'm sure that I will think of some soon! LOL! Thanks!

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 10:46 AM

your welcome

HorsesHorses08 07-07-2009 10:47 AM

i have one question. how do you make a post. i just cant figure out how.