The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   slow on trail (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/slow-trail-311153/)

debbie veelle 11-11-2013 03:41 PM

slow on trail

How do I get my horse to walk faster on the trail without trotting.

BarrelBasher 11-17-2013 09:18 PM

Is he being 'slow' or 'lazy'? A horse can be a slow, but alert walker, while some other are lazy, and nearly falling asleep.

debbie veelle 11-19-2013 08:09 PM

slow on trail

Actually even if she is taking the lead she is still on the slow side and when she is in the back she is slower, lazy is her temperment "left brain introvert" which for most of the time I like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelBasher (Post 4125257)
Is he being 'slow' or 'lazy'? A horse can be a slow, but alert walker, while some other are lazy, and nearly falling asleep.

PaintHorseMares 11-19-2013 08:25 PM

I wouldn't call her necessarily lazy...some horses are just naturally slow walkers. We have the opposite. Our mare, Lady, is a naturally fast walker. You can be riding side by side with other horses and within 2-3 minutes, she's a few horse lengths ahead of everyone.

armyrdr 12-28-2013 01:41 PM

I just read a thing from the Parellis that said use escalation of force with a crop rather than your legs all the time. Also suggested asking the horse to go slower than it wants to go. Didn't really say why this would work but just some suggestions.
My own horses aren't lazy heading out but can be mid ride. I use the escalation of force until I get the speed I want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trinity Ridge 12-28-2013 02:01 PM

getcha a gaited horse. they will walk away from the pack. and you'll have a much better ride too. everyone else will have to trot to keep up.

if you just want to walk, a TW is a good breed. if you want one with a some speed and even smoother gait, get a racker. and if you want supreme speed with the smoothest gait get a singlefoot speed racker.