The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique Rocky's confirmation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-rockys-confirmation-31140/)

RiddlesDarkAngel5 07-07-2009 04:45 PM

Please critique Rocky's confirmation

4 Attachment(s)
Alright, well i know basic things about confirmation, but honestly not too much. i've been told that my horse is built pretty well, but i really have no idea how his confirmation rates. so i took a few pictures of him and i was wondering if i could get some comments on what you guys think about his confirmation. i tried to get him as square as possible, but he was wiggly today so i hope the pictures are okay. i got him from both sides, back, and front. please tell me what you think!

other notes: he's 15 years old, purebred arabian; also, i know he's a bit overweight. i'm working on removing that grass belly as we speak

RiddlesDarkAngel5 07-07-2009 11:01 PM

wow he's that bad guys?? lol =P

Mercedes 07-07-2009 11:19 PM

Nothing awful, nothing outstanding. Everything is adequate.

His biggest issue right now is that his musculature is inverted and quite lumpy. If he was conditioned better, his posture would be better. Post some new pictures once he's in shape. Also, when you take the side views, you need to be in the center of the horse. You're photos are all too close to the shoulder, so it's difficult to see the hindquarter properly.

Just for future reference, the word is conf'o'rmation.

RiddlesDarkAngel5 07-07-2009 11:32 PM

alright, im a little embarassed. i suppose i should learn to spell the word right lol. thanks for the honest advice.i'm trying to do a lot of trot work with him to start defining those muscles. ill def. come back and post pictures once he's muscled up a bit then

mom2pride 07-08-2009 12:28 AM

He's got a decent shoulder, nice short back, the straight croup typical of Arabs. He is overconditioned, as you are well aware.

His front cannons appear offset, but if could be the way he is standing. His hind legs are a tad strung out behind, but not too bad; and again, could be more the way he is having to stand, with the excess body conditioning.

I would like a more refined head on him, but he does have a decently refined trim neck, even with the weight he's carrying; I think he will look even more lovely when you are able to get him more muscled up, and the excess pudge's off. He's a cute guy...I like Arabs! :D

RiddlesDarkAngel5 07-08-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 345474)
He's got a decent shoulder, nice short back, the straight croup typical of Arabs. He is overconditioned, as you are well aware.

His front cannons appear offset, but if could be the way he is standing. His hind legs are a tad strung out behind, but not too bad; and again, could be more the way he is having to stand, with the excess body conditioning.

I would like a more refined head on him, but he does have a decently refined trim neck, even with the weight he's carrying; I think he will look even more lovely when you are able to get him more muscled up, and the excess pudge's off. He's a cute guy...I like Arabs! :D

the less refined head is typical of polish arabians. they dont have the long noses and dish faces that you see with egyptian arabs

vbrill 07-08-2009 05:45 PM

conditioning would definetly help if have access to a large field do some galloping laps around start of with 2 laps in each direction then slowly do more and more it will help all around if you have any hills walk trot and cantering up will help with hind quarter muscling and dressage will help with back and upper neck muscling and hacking out on pavement will help with blood circulation (only walking)

RiddlesDarkAngel5 07-08-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrill (Post 346035)
conditioning would definetly help if have access to a large field do some galloping laps around start of with 2 laps in each direction then slowly do more and more it will help all around if you have any hills walk trot and cantering up will help with hind quarter muscling and dressage will help with back and upper neck muscling and hacking out on pavement will help with blood circulation (only walking)

thanks. he's actually in pretty good shape. i know it doesn't look like it, but he is. the problem i have is i can't seem to get the fat off of him. he's increasing his stamina, but still looks like i never ride him. there aren't really any hills around where i board, but i am starting to do some dressage with him now to increase flexibility so hopefully that helps.