The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   And the Jen came tumbling down... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/jen-came-tumbling-down-311697/)

Zexious 11-12-2013 03:13 PM

And the Jen came tumbling down...

Hey, guys. I thought this was an interesting enough story, and wanted to share it with y'all. The disclaimer here is, of course, forgive any typos. Typing is extremely difficult.

My little story started on Friday evening. My boyfriend and I had spent the day together, things were going well, when we decided that playing a "Game of Thrones" drinking game sounded like fun.
So, two-ish episodes in, we're pretty wasted. It was then that boyfriend decided he wanted to smoke, and I went with him onto the patio. He turned around, realizing he had forgotten his lighter (or the cigarettes themselves, I forget which) inside.

During the time that he was gone, I had a brilliant idea to sit on the railing of the balcony.

Boyfriend came back outside just in time to see me fall the three stories onto the concrete below. Aanndd... here I am.

My ankle is shattered (already got my first surgery on it),my right hip is broken, my pelvis is broken in four places, and my skill has three cracks. I am expecting to be in the hospital for, easily, the next month... Yikes...

Anyway, thanks for listening!

Skyseternalangel 11-12-2013 03:37 PM

Oh my word... 3 stories onto concrete?!~ You're lucky to be alive :/

Wild Heart 11-12-2013 11:55 PM

Three stories and on concrete?!
Holy cow girl, it's amazing you are alive.

I hope you have a very swift recovery. And stay off the railings!

tinyliny 11-13-2013 12:01 AM

My God! that's awful. you are so lucky to just be alive. What a horror for your boyfriend to see that happen and not be able to save you.

I wish you as speedy a recovery as can be expected.

Foxhunter 11-13-2013 01:40 AM

You are so lucky to be alive!
Unfortunately you are probably going to probably be paying for this for the rest of your life.

Times change, here in the UK drinking is allowed at 18. This means nothing and many much younger teens are getting wasted because they get their hands on alcohol.
It seems the norm in many cases that because going out is expensive, that many buy cheap booze and get drunk before they even go out.

There were many times that I drank waaaaaaaay to much and that took a lot because it was always able to hold my booze, and only ever once had a hangover.
Many times there were drinking games, but these were always in large groups.
I can, hand on heart, truthfully say that I have never drunk myself into oblivion or never been able to remember what I got up to, though a couple of times I wish I could!

I guess I was lucky in escaping injuries in more ways than one.
Now, I rarely ever drink, I can have fun without the need for that sort of kick. If I drink twenty units a year I would be surprised! I am not against alcohol at all, I always have it in the house, friends are welcome to it, but it just doesn't bother me.

Guess who is always the designated driver?

I wish you a speedy recovery, a hint that will help you is try to get someone to get you some Comfrey tablets, they greatly help in mending bones, the old English name for the herb was knit bone.

VickiRose 11-13-2013 03:38 AM

Ouch! Go buy a lotto ticket, you were lucky you weren't killed! (okay so you probably don't feel lucky, just sore, but you ARE lucky)
We've mostly all done dumb stuff while drunk, we live and learn, hopefully ;-)

Lockwood 11-13-2013 08:01 AM

:shock:
OUCH !

I hope you mend quickly and there are some good pain meds for the next few days....or weeks. :wink:

jaydee 11-13-2013 08:58 AM

That was not one of your better ideas was it?
Hope you get well soon and the pain meds are working

Foxtail Ranch 11-13-2013 09:26 AM

I've walked a mile in those shoes. Three years ago I was struck by a truck doing a u-turn on a highway while driving my motorcycle. Crushed my right side hip down.

Three pelvic fractures which ripped my bladder up, two femur, two tibia and fibula, crushed ankle like you,crushed foot, crushed toes. No major head injury though.

I was in the hospital 22 days, 10 surgeries that lasted 40 hours total, and 1 year of PT.

Demand good care at the hospital. if they treat you badly, call patient advocacy. Most hospital workers are wonderful, but there are bitches too. Don't take their crap!

Get off the pain meds as soon as you can. They actually make you sicker than you really are. you need them now, but in 3 months you should be done with them.

Hang in there. We horsewomen are tough and can ride anything out. we have a core of steel.
Posted via Mobile Device

MissingStar 11-13-2013 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"It's all fun and games . . . until someone ends up wearing a cone!"

Attachment 317449

Zexious, so glad you lived to tell the tale. Wishing you the speediest of recoveries.