The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Trimming the Whiskers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/trimming-whiskers-31222/)

chelssss(: 07-08-2009 01:17 PM

Trimming the Whiskers

Just a question to get some ideas:

what do you guys do for horses who don't like the clippers around their face? my boy doesnt mind them, but he just gets aggrivated real quick with the noise. i do use the sissors, but they just can be a pain sometimes, doing one by one - whisker by whisker.

Scoutrider 07-08-2009 01:42 PM

I've seen people use a human razor shaver, but I really don't trust myself to not slip and cut a horse that way. I've got the opposite problem, Scout likes the electric clippers around his nose too much, he thinks they're food. :D I'm waiting for the day I accidentally chop into his lips trying to reclaim the clippers and ruin his liking for them.

Joshie 07-08-2009 02:20 PM

We have a cheap pair of mustache trimmers from the dollar store. I let Joshua sniff them. I turn them on and let him sniff them again. Then I use them on him. We make it fun and make it a game. I can trim him without him seeing the trimmers more than every 6 months to a year and not have a problem. We don't tie him to use them either.

We expose him to funny things a lot. Swim noodles and scary things like ear plugs and ear buds, etc. are frequent visitors. I think that's the key.

Ahsisi 07-08-2009 03:52 PM

I have used the disposable razor. It really doesn't work that well after the first couple of swipes (as you can imagine). What clippers do you have? You could always try a quieter pair of clippers. They still will make some noise, but some are noiser than others. They work much better and are much quicker than any of the alternatives.

jody111 07-09-2009 05:10 AM

You can buy little disposable razors from sadlleries over here and they work really well.... really cheap

I dont tend to trim them myself but I did for one inhand show I did.... and use the horse razor

chelssss(: 07-09-2009 09:37 AM

i cant think off the top of my head what pair of clippers we use at our farm, their my trainers, but they are the quietest clippers and they work great -

mainly i think that they just tickle him. But i've been just using the sissors on his face, it gets the job done, he's not terrified of the clippers, he doesnt have an attitude with them either.

I have an old broken pair that i've been showing him every day. they make some noise, but they're broke so i cant clip him with it.

I seen in a tack shop near my house, i cant think of the name of them right now, but every one says they work great.
its like an inch long/wide and they come in different colors. i dont want to buy one and it not be worth it. they look like a SMALL pulling comb almost.

Ahsisi 07-09-2009 11:18 AM

The little ones are good for doing a trim on the nose and bridle path, but if you ever need to do more (ears, legs, etc) they don't do a great job. It is hard when it tickles them...they just wiggle their little noses all over the place...I think it would totally be worth it to get a pair...the more you do it the better they get! Good luck!

chelssss(: 07-09-2009 01:00 PM

What do you guys think about clipping ears? Showing in my area its not expected. But we have a bigger show this coming september that suggests clipping ears. i've done a light trim with sissors, but Bay does not like the rasors in his ears. What else do you suggest?

XxXequinegrlXxX 07-09-2009 02:23 PM

The Cheshire Horse - Keene, NH and Saratoga Springs, NY

i would suggest these for the nose, they work amazing

The Cheshire Horse - Keene, NH and Saratoga Springs, NY

maybe this for the ears... there small and dont make much noise

mom2pride 07-09-2009 09:46 PM

I have an Andis AGR cordless clipper, and it is much quieter than alot of the corded clippers out there; perhaps trying a cordless clipper may help your horse tolerate clippers better.

The key is to get the horse to tolerate the clipper at a distance they are comforable with, then bring it gradually in closer to the areas they don't like for a second or two, then put it back to a place they don't mind again. If you are using a cordless, make sure you have your battery fully charged, and possibly another one set aside. I have a cord pack for my cordless, as well as a spare battery. :D