The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Ugh.... tangled tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/ugh-tangled-tail-31339/)

morganshow11 07-10-2009 10:51 AM

Ugh.... tangled tail

Okay so the other day ago i braided Rowdys tail, and left it inot get krimpy for the show, and guess what?!?!?!?!?!?!? it is all tangled when i get out there. And i mean tangled!!! his tail drags on the ground but it is so tangled and all bunched up so now it like at hte tail bone, its so tangled. How to i get it out??????

IrishRider 07-10-2009 10:54 AM

Do you have any kind of detangler? I use the Cowboy Magic detangler and it works really well. Start at the bottom of his tail and work your way up with your fingers. It might take a while but hopefully it will work. Just be gentle and patient.

Tennessee 07-10-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishRider (Post 347423)
Do you have any kind of detangler? I use the Cowboy Magic detangler and it works really well. Start at the bottom of his tail and work your way up with your fingers. It might take a while but hopefully it will work. Just be gentle and patient.

Cowboy Magic works wonders. =]

APHA MOMMA 07-10-2009 11:13 AM

Also, just good ole conditioner, just put some globs on there and work it out, that has always worked wonders for me. :)

PoptartShop 07-10-2009 11:53 AM

I also use Cowboy Magic- it really works. :D I would try that, & maybe some ShowSheen to make it even more less tangled.

Jillyann 07-10-2009 11:53 AM

CowBoy Magic! It works amazingly!

zurmdahl 07-10-2009 12:02 PM

I use show sheen, it works really, really well. I always found cowboy magic not to work very well at detangling, but that's just me.

Brumby 07-10-2009 01:10 PM

Use Some detangler. I like cowboy magic or showsheen. You can also make your own my mixing:
1/4 cup fly spray
1/4 cup baby oil
1/4 cup hair conditioner
1/4 water (can be omited for a thicker mix, I usually do).

It works pretty good, and it is cheaper.

HalfPass 07-10-2009 02:54 PM

Hey there...How frustrating...Right before show.
I think all the methods above work wonders....the one brumby suggested is good and the oils hels but cn some times become gooy....But it will leave a nice shine...
The main thing to remember is to 1) pe as patient as you can, 2) like the others also mentioned start and the very very bottom...If your horse has a really long thick tail and a sort of nest at the bottom I would try to use a wide type brush or comb and work on t=little sections at a time...
I was an Event goom for a friend for a while when I did not have a horse to ride and had a similar siutaion happen...It took a long time to get the job done, I mean a long time...but eventualy with patience and care not to rip or pull to much it did become untangled and still looked excellent!
You'll be good to go with the suggestions above.....
HP

DixiesPaintedNova 07-10-2009 04:33 PM

Haha i would ask smrobs. She got this ungodly massive tangle out of her draft mares tail.