The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Riding in town (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/riding-town-3138/)

pandascare 08-28-2007 03:30 PM

Riding in town

Hi,
Today I saw a few people riding near downtown of my city, in an area full of traffic, low quality housing and its very hectic.
Should people really be riding in that kind of situation, one of the girls was off checking her horses leg and hoof, as if their was something wrong.
I didn't ask them because we we're just driving by but I thought it was a bit strange, even if horses are used to cars isn't that kind of a stressful place to ride?
I thought maybe they we're traveling and so they we're just taking a quick break but still in the middle of town?
I wasn't sure if this was okay, and I didn't want to sound rude questioning them, so I wanted to know what you guys thought
Thanks
:wink:

PoptartShop 08-28-2007 04:20 PM

If the horses are used for riding on streets a lot, then it should be okay since they're used to it.
But if one of the horses were to get spooked, then it might not be too safe.
I, personally, wouldn't ride my horse on a street full of traffic; even if she wasn't spooky. It's very dangerous to do that.
But that's just my opinion. :)

Kiki 08-28-2007 06:39 PM

Hey there!
I ride in town but theres only 3000 people LOL and I dont ride on the main street for simple reason it is stressful for horses to be surrounded by milling traffic. So yeah.....Personally I wouldnt do it.

What city are we talking about?

jpost 08-28-2007 08:48 PM

In New York City, there was a stable that recently closed. People who used this boarding/riding facility rode their horses through the city and into Central Park. Sounds crazy to me but I also believe that if your horse is raised in that environment, chances are you should be okay. Look at the Amish... They ride through town and down roads all the time. Would I do it :shock: ? Hmmm.... that's a tough one to answer. Only if I had to but it would be nice if my horses were truely desensitized to traffic.

pandascare 08-28-2007 09:56 PM

I live in North Bay, not a big city but like 53 000 people so big enough, thats what I thought to but I was talking to the people at my barn and apparently these people ride around town all the time. I have never seen them, it still seems strange to me, like it wouldn't even be that nice for horse or rider, I mean at least go to a nice place but this was a pretty ghetto street
I guess everyone likes different things though :P

Kiki 08-28-2007 11:28 PM

Well I guess all i can say is whatever floats your boat

sweetypie16 08-28-2007 11:43 PM

Yeh i don't really live close to any majour town, but yeah as Kiki said what ever floats your boat :roll:

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-29-2007 02:19 AM

lol...that explanes it.....north bay ontario???......i find that (canadians) have a lot more patients for horses on the road way, while ridding on a road way in ste lazarre quebec i had a moterist stop turn off his car and wave me past, i was walking abby down to the mail box with me the other day and some guy tried to plow us over in his truck, it doesn't matter where you ride it's as long as you feel safe for your horses and you, infact i hard a rumor that in ste lazarre they are building a area in town where you can ride to town leave your horse in a box stall , buy your grociories and ride home.....

Flying B 08-29-2007 04:17 PM

I am on a mounted patrol and I am all ways riding in traffic, if you are good enough and know what your doing it is a lot of fun. Have you ever had to get off your horse on a trail and check it's leg? A horse can hurt it's leg any where. I have had my horse in big groups of people and in between cars.

Kiki 08-30-2007 06:33 PM

Wow!! I love your job Flying B that would be a job for skilled riders only!!!!