The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Thinking of Getting a Draft (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/thinking-getting-draft-31385/)

rosie9r 07-10-2009 10:30 PM

Thinking of Getting a Draft

Hey guys, I am thinking of getting a draft project. I currently usually work with OTTBs but I would like to get a draft to train for a "husband horse"... I have heard stuff like, drafts are easier keepers, or are bad tempered...etc..

So I am looking for any info you can tell me about owning one.

The guy I am looking at is 9 years old, greenbroke, and pasture kept. If I get him, he will be kept in a 24 by 24 but with his own run and daily turnout. He was a board surrender. The stable owner has ridden him a couple times but he needs lots of patience tacking and mounting,she thinks he had a saddle turn on him and it freaked him out. I think it is something that can be worked through with time and patience.

What can you tell me about drafts in general? He is a palomino Belgian.

BurningAmber520 07-11-2009 09:37 AM

From my experience drafts are super sweet tempered and laid back horses, I've ridden all kinds of draft horses over the years from tons of draft sport crosses to a 3 year old green broke shire, to a 19h belgium, to draft mules, to a jumping percheron, I've been on them all lol, and they were all wonderful horses! The one thing that you really need to be careful about with a draft is their size, they sometimes don't realize how big they are and will get right up on you. But honestly overall i would recommend a draft to anyone! I think after some proper work the guy you're looking at will be a great husband horse! How tall is he?

Jessabel 07-11-2009 05:55 PM

I agree with BurningAmber. Drafts are the most laid back and mild mannered as horses get. But a lot of people are uncomfortable with their size, and some horses forget how big they are. They just have to be really well trained because they're too big and powerful to have behavior issues. I love my draft. =D

They're very different from light horses when you're riding them. I was used to Thoroughbreds, too, and it was a shock the first time I got on a draft. It felt like riding a dump truck (in a weird/good way). They have a lower center of gravity and they move like steam engines. lol Most of them are really smooth rides, though. Perfect beginner horses as long as the person isn't intimidated by their size.

english_rider144 07-11-2009 06:04 PM

I've worked and owned drafts. They can be hard keepers if you've never worked with one before. Do you have any draft experiance? That would be the place to start. They need a different diet and they need a bit more care then the average horse just because of their size. You will also have to find a farrier to fit the needs of the draft your getting. Don't fall for the gentle giant crap people always say. They all are NOT like that. They are MADE that way. Drafts are a whole nother ball game.

waterbuggies 07-13-2009 09:57 PM

I love my Belgain. I have a 5 year old 18.2 hd Palamino colored Baby. He's big but still has the insecurity of a small horse.
As everyone has said above, you have to be firm with them, all the time not letting anything anything slide, you can't afford to.
Farrier will be double ( if you can find someone) and you have to stay up with it. The light breeds you can fudge trims a couple of weeks, but the drafts are so heavy that they need to be done on time or your going to have alot of spliting. If your short you can't just get on anywhere.
I haven't had any problems with my guys with colic or anything. I try and add oil every 1-2 weeks. I don't stall I think they do better turned out 24/7 they can move around.

I love my guys, so go for it.