The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foundation Bred

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Palomine 
#1 ·
I guess this is kind of a silly question, but I'm wondering if someone could explain the meaning of a horse being "foundation bred" to me. I've heard that all breeds have horses within them that are "foundation bred" but I hear it most used with QHs and appys. I have a general idea of the meaning, but would like a deeper explanation. One specific question I have is, does the meaning change between different breeds?

So explain away, breed gurus! Thanks so much in advance!

#2 ·
I only really know about this topic in Morgans but, it is a horse bred more to resemble the original type, in my case Justin Morgan, than a lighter, taller horse instead of a small, compact steady work/saddle horse. I've been told that foundation Morgans are defined as being any horse not out crossed to a Saddlebred after 1930. I don't know the technical cut off for Appys and Quarter horses but the foundation quarters I've seen are are super stocky so it probably has to do with not out crossing to Thoroughbreds and I believe Appys are supposed to be a little lighter than quarter horses and so maybe has something to do with not crossing out to quarter horses. I would say the meaning of foundation does change between breeds depending upon what the original characteristics and uses were and what has been changed in the breed in modern times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.