The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Lesson 7/9/09 (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/lesson-7-9-09-a-31439/)

xxJustJumpItxx 07-11-2009 10:32 PM

Lesson 7/9/09

OMG you guys! I had an AWESOME lesson last Thursday! Unfortunately, no pics or vids because my mom couldn't stay, but I will tell y'all about it!

Flat: I'm starting to get strong legs and a strong seat! My trainer gave me some exercises to do in order to post off my legs and not my hands when I trot. I was getting in the bad habit of perching (curse me!!!!) and she really made me sit back. It felt really weird at the beginning since I was so used to perching, but towards the end of my lesson I really got comfy! I am now using my hips and seat to post instead of my knees. No pinching, YAY!!! I felt a lot more secure at the canter when I wasn't perching as well! I worked very well with my lesson horse when I started riding him into the bit instead of using my hands to get the bit to him. I steadied him very well when he got speedy after fences!

Jumping: Wow, I thought I did very well! I'm only jumping about 18 inches right now. Hey, it might not be big, but everyone's gotta start somewhere! I will admit to jumping ahead once and it was BAD! I went so far ahead that I caught my crotch on the pommel of the saddle. OUCHIE! But it taught me not to jump ahead and my trainer said I was in the middle of the saddle the rest of the time! She also said my leg isn't swinging as much!

Just thought I'd share :-) No one in my family really cares too much, but I thought you guys would have some input!

Ahsisi 07-13-2009 08:01 AM

Sounds like not only did you have a great lesson, but you had fun too!!! Good job! It is so rewarding to be able to feel/tell a difference when you change something! So glad it went well!

xxJustJumpItxx 07-14-2009 09:47 AM

Thanks! I did have a blast! Normally Skipper's a little hard for me to control, but he was great! I'll try to get someone to stay for my next lesson and get some pictures :-)

goldilockz 07-14-2009 09:49 AM

Yay for good lessons!