The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Would this foal... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/would-foal-314393/)

MarchingOn 11-17-2013 06:09 PM

Would this foal...

I'm curious once again, a friend sent me this ad and now I'm curious. Would this foal technically have a sway back?

Phenomenal dressage filly! Quadruple eligibility for registration! | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

I think she could but it could the pictures.

CLaPorte432 11-17-2013 07:38 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm going to say no...

She does have a LONG back. And she is butt high right now. But I wwouldn't consider her a sway-back. It looks as if she is standing funny to where her left butt/hip is higher then the right, giving the appearance of something funky going on.

I am on my phone and it is hard to see clearly, but IMO I think she has quite a few optical illusions going on...
Posted via Mobile Device

Tryst 11-17-2013 10:35 PM

I actually suspect she does have some lordosis. She is half saddlebred, so it would not be that surprising, as they are known for it. She looks better in some photos than others, but no way should a three month old foals back look like that IMO.

ButtInTheDirt 11-17-2013 10:58 PM

Swayback is one of those things that you know it when you see it. It sometimes takes a while to learn exactly what it is, but when you see a swaybacked horse you know without a doubt that it is swaybacked. This foal, as others have mentioned, is long-backed and down hill at this stage in it's development. Whether these problems correct themselves is yet to be seen. I, personally, from these pictures wouldn't be lead to believe the foal is swaybacked. I have also had people tell me my miniature donkey - who is very butt high - is swaybacked. You have to look at the entire animal to determine this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-17-2013 11:02 PM

I see a butt high baby, not a sway back. Her back is long, so later on, it could become swayed but not necessarily. I couldn't get past her head.....shudders.

NorthernHorse 11-17-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 4126569)
I see a butt high baby, not a sway back. Her back is long, so later on, it could become swayed but not necessarily. I couldn't get past her head.....shudders.

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one.... not gonna lie I glanced at the ad, then had to take a double take, cus I coulda sworn I was looking at a mule filly, I know its bad of me but I'm shuddering right along side of you.

Now back to the issue of sway backed or not, I personally don't see it, but only time will tell for sure, I just think she's a long backed bum high baby.

paintedpastures 11-18-2013 01:26 AM

Some of those photos yes she looks swaybacked/ lordosis :-( others just longer back,butt high poor, topline. Sorry but overall I see one Fugly baby:shock:

MarchingOn 11-18-2013 06:22 PM

Okay well I guess my hunch was wrong. Just a case of either odd looks (someone must think she looks cute) or growth spurt. From what I gather she may or may not grow out of it.

EliRose 11-18-2013 11:13 PM

Heh, I went out to see a half-brother of this filly (same sire) a month ago. He bucked me off and cracked my rib. The owner also had another mare by this filly's sire, and she was equally long-backed and fugly. Both the gelding and the mare had that head, too.

Golden Horse 11-18-2013 11:19 PM

This appears to be a poster child for reasons not to cross such different types, she is not pretty, she looks barely functional.