Belle and Snickers, the EPSM mare divas
So, I decided to start this thread for the beginning of this journey with my two EPSM mares.
My first mare is Belle, my EPSM Type I pos percheron. She was severely neglected and possibly abused for a long time before I adopted her. I adopted her at the age of appox 16 year old. She had not had human interaction, hoof care, vet care or turn out from her 50 foot paddock, that she shared with her 3 year old filly, who was larger than her, for at least three years. Simply watered and hay thrown.
My second mare, you may know from previous threads. Her last journal was:
Snickers I adopted at the age of 2. I was concerned with the way her hind end moved, but she was a young, growing, butt-high 2 year old draft cross, so I went with it. As time went on, it was the mystery hind end saga with vets, chiros, massage therapists, farriers and trainers. Started to look at EPSM and was in contact with Dr. Beth Valentine with tons of video and she agreed. Tested for Type I, which was neg, but not ruling out Type II. Started high fat diet and she improved. However, with her being an extremely easy keeper and not losing any weight despite following the diet correctly and daily exercise, I began to get concerned for her future becoming IR or worse. The diet DID help her, although, not completely. I was happy with how she DID improve and if she wasn't such an easy keeper and overweight, I probably would have left it that way. But with there being an exact opposite alternative with the fat with Dr. Kellon, I decided to try her way and see what it gets me. How will I know if she wouldn't improve more or lose weight this way, if I didn't try.
So, this is where I am with both girls. I am treating for EPSM with easy keepers.
I have found someone to help me with hay analysis and getting the vit/min correctly established, along with doing it with simple ingredients not using commercial grains/feeds. All being done with low Non-structural Carbohydrates (NSC) = low sugar, low starch and with low fat.
I am also interested in starting to trim my mares with the Pete Ramey method and for them to be barefoot. I am not posting this for criticism. Snickers is barefoot and has very nice feet. Belle has been a rehab project, possible founder, possible laminitis, slipper toed with a crack to her coronary band and abscessed for two months after her first trim. I have had farrier troubles. Belle has now been shod in front for a year. This has kept her comfortable enough to walk off of her extremely thin soles. However, I'm not certain the angles are still where I want to be to make her more sound and walk heel first. I'm concerned with her heel bulbs now starting to pinch, frog getting narrow and longer, sole stretching etc. So, I will be pulling the shoes.
I am creating this journal to not only help ME remember my journey, but to help anyone else out there in the future that may need help. I am being your guinea pig so to speak.
Fired my farrier
Moved my horses to a paddock that will not include grass turnout
Began to get things together to make a Freedom Feeder for the horses to slow graze their hay
Began to order the necessary vit/min supplements to change their diets over completely.
Found a recommended barefoot farrier to start a 4 week cycle trim until I can take over later, after all of the overwhelming diet changes.
I would say it was quite productive.
Uckele-Thompson Custom 11/12 (1 105g scoop daily)
Flaxseed Meal 60g
Gateway Su-Per Psyllium Whole Blond Husk Powder (daily)
Alfalfa Pellets (only Ό sun-cured)
3 Tablespoons iodized salt
4000iU + Vit E (d-alpha or dl-alpha)
Beet Pulp (shredded, no molasses) .no need to rinse.
Belle's feet the day she was rescued....
Hooves after first trims:
Belle's extremely thin soles:
Belle's been shod for a year. This was her feet in January 2013:
Freedom Feeder nets used in a boarding situation where the BO needs to be able to just throw hay inside without securing nets.....
Great, thanks :-)
love the net,, btw. I guess I can make that.....;-).... once I don't have to soak my hay anymore.... at the moment we're working on a hay soaker with room for three nets, a spigot and a contraption for draining the nets. I found out 5 lbs of hay get awfully heavy when soaked.....
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.