The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Training A 2 Year Old. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/training-2-year-old-31481/)

foxracing7469ab 07-12-2009 07:44 PM

Training A 2 Year Old.

I still am working on breaking to ride but as soon as that is done i want to start right in on jumping he has great legs and i would love to see him trained right. i don't have tons of time for him seeing how i am in school & dont live with my dad however i see him with all my free time. I would love to keep him but idk if i will be able to give him the care he needs so basically if your interested please let me know i hate to see such an amazing colt sit & waste. I want him to have a good home if i can't keep him. If i do keep him however i do need lots of help with the jumping. I know he can do it cause at 4 months old he jumped out round pen no problem. little stinker lol. please let me know if i could get any help or if any of you have time for him. I only want him to go to a good home tho. Please Help. Thank you so much for your time. Ashley

Spyder 07-12-2009 08:20 PM

Where is the popcorn eating smilie whaen you need it?

foxracing7469ab 07-12-2009 08:41 PM

ok that has nothing to do with my post...?? why did you post that i am being serious about this.

LiveToJump 07-12-2009 09:06 PM

Honestly, you should not be even thinking about jumping a two year old. Especially you said you are just starting to break him. I see a lot of things wrong with your statement. How long have you been around horses?

First off, if you are just starting to break him, you have a LOT of work to do before you should be even contemplating jumping. He is going to need a lot of groundwork and its going to take some time to get him going solid enough under saddle to jump. It is just purely safety. He needs to learn how to carry himself and a rider before throwing any poles or jumps in there. Also, I highly recommend the basics of Dressage for any horse that is aimed to jump. It helps them to learn how to use their hind end properly, which makes for a much more safe jumper. Just because he can jump on his own at any age does not mean he can jump with a rider on his back. There is SO much he has to learn first about carrying himself alone under saddle.

Secondly, I do highly recommend getting a trainer to help you. Training a youngster can be very hard at times, and a professional will be able to guide you along. They take a lot of time, work, and consistency. If you want the best for him, find someone who has the time & experience to start him correctly, or find a trainer to help you with him.

morganshow11 07-12-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 348979)
Where is the popcorn eating smilie whaen you need it?

What is that suposed to meen lol i dont get it????

Spyder 07-12-2009 09:35 PM

There we are.

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emot...ng_popcorn.gif http://www.clipartof.com/images/emot...ng_popcorn.gif http://www.clipartof.com/images/emot...ng_popcorn.gif

Joshie 07-12-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganshow11 (Post 349026)
What is that suposed to meen lol i dont get it????

What does it mean, you mean?

I have a couple of questions for the OP.
1) Why are you riding a two year old?
2) How old are you?
3) How much experience do you have with horses?
4) Do you or does someone else work with this horse daily?
5) Do you have a trainer?
6) When are you gelding your boy?
7) Why, why, why?

Seriously, Ashley, allowing this colt to grow up is in no way a waste. It's a waste to allow a baby to be ridden or to jump. His growing joints will most certainly be damaged. Is you goal to have a jumper? I doubt you'll get a horse that's sound to jump at age 12 if you jump him at age two.

Jumping a two year old colt is a bit like a 13 year old girl having a baby. You may be able to do it physically but it certainly isn't the best for anyone.

Spyder 07-12-2009 09:49 PM

I see under your avatar

Quote:

foxracing7469ab is Training a 2 year old paint stud colt.
So you have no idea about training or the growth in horses but you feel you are able to train a stud colt.?????????? :shock::shock::shock:

My dear girl get an older "steady as a rock" type horse to learn on first !!

Fire Eyes 07-12-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshie (Post 349049)
Jumping a two year old colt is a bit like a 13 year old girl having a baby. You may be able to do it physically but it certainly isn't the best for anyone.

Very very well put! Kudos!
I agree with Joshie and Spyder completely.

upnover 07-12-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxracing7469ab (Post 348994)
ok that has nothing to do with my post...?? why did you post that i am being serious about this.

She wrote that because you're about to get a bazillion comments on how very irresponsible (or uneducated) idea it is to 1) start a horse that young and 2) esp be thinking about jumping it at that age. Some will be nice, some may not. And she's going to sit back, eat her popcorn, and enjoy the show. :-)

That being said.... it's not a great idea to 1) start a horse that young and 2) terrible idea to jump a horse that young. :-) A horse doesn't develop physically or mentally for a few more years, why are you so eager to get started right away? I don't believe in breaking horses until 3 and the very earliest i will start to jump a horse is very late 3 or 4, but generally well into their 4th year. With a two y/o I'd begin with desensitizing and ground manners (leading, clipping, loading into the trailer, tarps, plastic bags, etc). I don't think it's a terrible idea to teach it to wear a bridle or saddle. But you can do permenant damage to a horse by riding it that early. ESPECIALLY jumping that young! Their joints are still forming and developing and even small jumps (or even just lunging) creates a tremendous amount of strain. There are lots of jumping horses that break down physically (or even mentally) at an early age because people rushed and started them too young. Once your horse is broke, he must be going very well at a w/t/c, move off your legs, know both leads, be adjustable at all 3 gaits, etc etc before beginning his jumping training. Training is NOT something to be rushed. Please please please take a moment to rethink your plan with this guy.