The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   d-ring versus o-ring (2 questions) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/d-ring-versus-o-ring-2-a-31506/)

farmpony84 07-13-2009 09:11 AM

d-ring versus o-ring (2 questions)

I have recently switched my junior horse from a port to a snaffle bit. (I still have to two-hand him too often to get him collected at the lope, I am using a slow twist for now. He does well with it but I'm not sure you can show a western horse in a slow-twist can you?)

So I'm ordering a snaffle that I can use in show and that's what I'm going to use for practice too... same bit. I'm not sure what the difference between an O and a D is (I mean, regarding what it does...) I have found an O and a D that I like... The O is about $15 more expensive....

Any advice/explanations? Thanks!

luvs2ride1979 07-13-2009 10:33 AM

It's really personal preference, for you and the horse. I would buy the same as the twisted snaffle; if it's a d, then get a d, if it's an o, get an o.

Also, most western shows require any horse 5 or older to be shown in a shanked bit one-handed, so you might want to check your rule book before showing up with a horse that won't go that way.

farmpony84 07-13-2009 10:54 AM

Mine is 3 years old so I have a few years to show in a snaffle... I'm trying to think what my slow twist is....? hmmm.... maybe a D....? I'll have to look....

chevaliernr 07-13-2009 03:19 PM

Do you mean an O-ring as in a loose ring, or an eggbutt? Either way, the D-ring puts more pressure on the sides of the mouth, so it assists with turning. I personally don't see too much a difference in switching from an O-ring to a D-ring in the horses I ride. If your horse is going find in whatever your current snaffle is, I would just stick with that.

bgood400 07-13-2009 04:09 PM

I dont think it really matters. I think you might also benefit from practicing some in the slow twist as well as the snaffle.

How did you do at the show?

farmpony84 07-13-2009 04:23 PM

I have him in a slow twist but I don't think I can show western in that. It's approved for english but from what I can tell in the rule book, I don't think I can use it. This is what I bought today. I bought it next day delivery so should have it soon.

What do you think?
Schneider Saddlery

farmpony84 07-13-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood400 (Post 349564)
I dont think it really matters. I think you might also benefit from practicing some in the slow twist as well as the snaffle.

How did you do at the show?

In english I was between 5-8 places in my classes, usually about 12-14 in each one. I got a 4th in junior horse out of 14...ALMOST got a half a point!

In western the first day I got a 3rd in walk/jog out of 25 but of course... it's an open class and no points! I BLEW my lope classes because I'm not at the point where I can get him back w/ one hand and a port once I lose him. Wich is why I thought I'd go back to the snaffle. If I can hold him that way I can work towards using the port... I just fall completely apart at shows in the lope. (The third day I did not place out of 23 in the walk/jog)...

I am going to try equitation next show.....

bgood400 07-13-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 349581)
In english I was between 5-8 places in my classes, usually about 12-14 in each one. I got a 4th in junior horse out of 14...ALMOST got a half a point!

In western the first day I got a 3rd in walk/jog out of 25 but of course... it's an open class and no points! I BLEW my lope classes because I'm not at the point where I can get him back w/ one hand and a port once I lose him. Wich is why I thought I'd go back to the snaffle. If I can hold him that way I can work towards using the port... I just fall completely apart at shows in the lope. (The third day I did not place out of 23 in the walk/jog)...

I am going to try equitation next show.....

well congrats and goodluck.

you cant show in a slow twist but it wouldnt hurt to practice in it.

farmpony84 07-13-2009 04:40 PM

I just looked at that bit again... It is the one I ordered but I've never seen one hook in the middle like that before... is that legal? Do I have to buy another bit!!!!!

bgood400 07-13-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 349594)
I just looked at that bit again... It is the one I ordered but I've never seen one hook in the middle like that before... is that legal? Do I have to buy another bit!!!!!

That bit is perfectly fine. people show in snaffles like that all the time.