The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Concerned about my mare...

840 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  loosie 
#1 ·
Have a question...

I bought a mare a few months ago and I absolutely adore her. She is is green but has the sweetest disposition. I am in love with this horse!!

She is well built but has always led out a little bit funny from the front....equal on both sides....but kind of reminds me of a body builder...hard to explain...and noone seems to notice it but me.

She is solid under saddle....doesnt seem off balance...no tripping etc. But this week I noticed she wants to rock while having her right front hoof picked. Doesnt fight me at all but she has done this 3 times now. Also while lunging the past couple of days she keeps her head rediculously low at the canter....almost like she is sniffing the ground. Also new...

Any ideas on what is going on?? I am terrified it might be something neurological going on....:((
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
The rocking is often a means of the horse telling you it doesn't feel like having you hold it's hoof up. Some will rock if not well balanced, others will quickly snatch the hoof away. How much lunge work are you doing. How many circles is she doing? When she drops her nose ask for a change of direction. Step back a few steps so she'll turn toward you then send her off the other way.

#4 ·
'Leads out funny'? You could post some pics of her & her feet, & video to show her movement, but if you're concerned, a vet chiro or such may be a good idea.

Rocking her weight when you pick up a foot, wouldn't be concerned about that on it's own, probably her just seeing if this behaviour works:wink:

Head low at a canter? Could she have been trained this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.