The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse isnt growing his winter coat like normal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-isnt-growing-his-winter-coat-315522/)

NorthernHorse 11-19-2013 01:16 PM

Horse isnt growing his winter coat like normal

So I have never ever posted a thread before so bare with me.

OK so I have a 14 year old gelding, whom I have had since he was a baby. And he has always been able to grow a thick winter coat. Well this year he started to get the makings of a winter coat so I thought he would be fine, my other horse has gone into full on woolly mammoth mode, so its just him.
I went out to feed them this morning, and my filly was happy as can be, but Skipper was hard core shivering, his winter coat was coming in but it seemed to just stopped. He's been fine all other days so far, just this morning he looked so uncomfortable.
So I don't know if I'm just over reacting or what's going on. I have never blanketed a horse before, never had a need to, so if he just needs a blanket to be happy then I guess off to the store I go. I Also thought that maybe he's missing something in his diet that he needs?? My horses don't get any supplements or oats/grain on top of there hay (hay is good quality and has been tested). Every time they've seen a vet for the routine check up they have been perfectly healthy, and in good shape. Its just out of the ordinary for him to not have a nice thick coat this far into winter.

So I guess I'm just wondering what you guys think? Should I just try blanketing him? Go into full on panic mode and call the vet? Or am I just being a over reacting horse mommy?

Sorry for the novel guys, hopefully it made sense :)

Corporal 11-19-2013 01:21 PM

Get the Vet out. This Isn't normal.

EponaLynn 11-19-2013 01:27 PM

I'd get a blanket on him nd get the vet out...he's going to need the blanket either way and you need to find out whats going on health wise.

NorthernHorse 11-19-2013 01:38 PM

Yeah that's what I figured, as I was hitting post thread, I was already reaching for my phone to call the Vet. They will come out as soon as they can, there just swamped right now, never fails as soon as I need a vet there all busy. They just said to keep an eye on him for now and to blanket him lightly.

Thanks again guys, ill let ya know how he's doing in the meantime and what the vet says when they make it out.