The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Magazine Subscription Recommendation Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/magazine-subscription-recommendation-please-315666/)

slr38 11-19-2013 05:25 PM

Magazine Subscription Recommendation Please!

Hello Everyone,

My nine year old nephew loves riding and everything to do with horses. I would like to get him a magazine subscription for Christmas. Correct me if I am wrong but I found Blaze and Young Rider geared more towards young girls.

Can anyone please suggest a magazine that my nephew would enjoy?

Thanks in advance!

Palomine 11-19-2013 08:26 PM

Western Horseman, Horse and Rider, Horse Illustrated. Best ones for boys probably.

Roperchick 11-19-2013 08:50 PM

Horse Illustrated is definitely MY favorite magazine.

Doesn't really go either or its all about training, riding, etc for all disciplines and you get a horse poster in every issue.

and Western Horseman. also a really really good one

verona1016 11-19-2013 08:52 PM

I may be an odd one, but at that age I really liked (and still like) Equus :-)

Ninamebo 11-19-2013 09:11 PM

I agree with Verona, but I subscribed to it for the more scientific portions.. for a 9yo boy I'd definitely go with Western Horseman or Horse&Rider. If he's that into horses I am sure whichever you give him he will love.

slr38 11-19-2013 10:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. I guess I should have mentioned that he does English style riding.

Is Horse & Rider only Western?

Thanks again!

caseymyhorserocks 11-20-2013 12:11 AM

Horse & Rider is both western and english, with a western tendency.

I also enjoyed Equus at that age, but it is quite scientific and health related. Horse Illustrated is also good. Practical Horseman is my favorite, however it is all english. It is mainly eventing and dressage with some hunter jumper in it too.