The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The Coolest Trick Your Horse Does: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/coolest-trick-your-horse-does-315882/)

NicoleH 11-20-2013 12:15 AM

The Coolest Trick Your Horse Does:

So, tell us about the coolest trick that your horse does and how you were able to achieve that?

My old gelding was trained to rear on command and he was good at it! It started with a day when I wasnt feeling too well but kept my date with my best friend for a ride out that day. Her horse got excited and so Blaze got excited also. He started trying to give a little crow hop and I proceeded to correct him. When I did he went into the air. I thought it was awesome so I had my friend gallop away from us when she got her horse under control while I held Blaze back.. He wanted to go too so he again did the same thing he had done previously. Except this time when he went up, I put a cue with it... A few moments later and he left the field we were in just a little smarter. =) He would shoot into the sky for me at any given time after that...

Your turn!

DancingArabian 11-20-2013 01:05 AM

I ask my horse "Want a cookie?" and he nickers. If I go "horsie says whaaaat?" he whinnies.

He's fairly vocal but it still took me about a week of going "cookie", then nickering and letting him sniff the treat before he started to try to figure it out. When he got that down I changed the cue slightly and rewarded for the whinny instead of the nicker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ninamebo 11-20-2013 03:35 AM

My horse gives hugs. And is all around cute as heck (the drama king totally knows it too)

But the hugs is pretty sweet. I'd like to teach him some more tricks in time

dommycob 11-20-2013 04:01 AM

Mine only knows 1, kiss. Its pretty cute:3
Posted via Mobile Device

gssw5 11-20-2013 08:45 AM

My Qh horse smiles when I tell him "say cheese."

Lexiie 11-20-2013 08:53 AM

If I say "bow" my mare will go down on one knee.

While I was teaching her, I kinda made her a pain for the farrier.. hahah
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 11-20-2013 08:54 AM

And he's not mine. But a ne and a girl taught the pony to rear.. lol he doesn't do it unless you have a treat so luckily it didn't turn out badly!
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 11-20-2013 09:52 AM

Teaching a horse to rear isn't cute or amazing, it's incredibly dangerous. Plus, you're not really teaching him anything as he already knows how to do it, you're just encouraging bad behavior.

Why do people think rearing is 'cool'? It's one of the most dangerous things a horse can do. I firmly discourage mine from rearing.

Elana 11-20-2013 10:07 AM

I had a horse that had an ossification of his fetlock joint. He was sound but jumping was not comfortable for him. I was in Pony club and there was a lot of jumping.

I taught him to push the rails off of the jumps with his nose so he could walk through and not jump. He was (as a result) banned from Pony Club (I used an Appaloosa instead).

I don't recall how I taught that.. but I did. It was pretty funny (the jump crew did not agree).

This same horse won a 30 mile competitive trail ride in 1971 and he is the horse that I taught all the higher levels of dressage to, including a levade. He had other tricks.. but the jump one was his best.

Agree that your rearing training was pretty dangerous and a dangerous way to teach it. You were incredibly lucky during your ownership of this horse that he did not go up and lose balance. A levade is NOT a rear BTW.

amberly 11-20-2013 10:18 AM

My horse can hug me. Sometimes when I am brushing him or picking out his front hooves he turns his neck over and just hugs me - if I am brushing he hugs my body like normal 'people' would do, or if I am picking hooves he hugs my butt. ;)
it isn't a trick, but because he is lazy then I put it on the '"trick list" but sometimes I can get him from a complete halt to galloping/loping. It's pretty cool and it feels awesome when we can do it bareback!

my horse, if he knows I have a treat he will find the source and once he does he will put his nose to my pocket or hand and just hod it it there. Again, not really a trick, but it is very cute.