The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Bareback (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/bareback-316354/)

Fifi6523 11-20-2013 09:49 PM

Bareback

Why do some people who ride bareback use saddle pads, but some other people don't use anything? Does it matter?:?

Aimz 11-20-2013 10:39 PM

I don't think it matters, personal preference for the most part.

I have a pad, I mostly use it on horses for a bit of extra grip, for extra padding and to stay cleaner in spring!!

I don't always use it but I have a really nice one that has saved my butt a few times with a shying horse, thanks to the extra grip (on a flat backed, very wide horse).
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxtail Ranch 11-20-2013 10:46 PM

Keeps your butt clean and dry. That, and I like the handle on mine for spooks and crow hops
Posted via Mobile Device

Fifi6523 11-21-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimz (Post 4149266)
I don't think it matters, personal preference for the most part.

I have a pad, I mostly use it on horses for a bit of extra grip, for extra padding and to stay cleaner in spring!!

I don't always use it but I have a really nice one that has saved my butt a few times with a shying horse, thanks to the extra grip (on a flat backed, very wide horse).
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh Okay!! Thank you:-)

Fifi6523 11-21-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 4149314)
Keeps your butt clean and dry. That, and I like the handle on mine for spooks and crow hops
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay that you! =)

Foxtail Ranch 11-21-2013 03:56 PM

Are you planning on bareback riding and wondering if you need a pad? Do you ride bareback now?

I prefer to ride bareback because I grew up without a saddle when I was a kid. I feel more comfortable without stirrups and so much stuff between me and the horse. If I think a horse will be a difficult ride, I choose bareback because I am afraid I will get hung up on the saddle if I have to bail off.

Some people have told me that it is not fair to the horse to ride bareback because my weight is not distributed by the bareback pad the way a saddle is designed to do. I have not found this to be true for my horses, but I guess it is hard to tell since a horse can't talk and they are quite stoic creatures. Plus, I am a short girl, about 120 lbs, so I don't think I can hurt a horse much other than a bony butt.

I especially like bareback for keeping me in good condition. I find that it develops my balance and keeps my core very strong. I used to have back aches and shoulder aches, but riding bareback regularly has eliminated that for me. Trotting bareback, posting bareback, and cantering really require a lot of muscle strength and control. Its a great workout.

I do like using a bareback pad. Mine is a Parelli brand and has a nice leather handle for me to grab onto when needed. Its a bit sturdier than most pads. Since I use it every day, I find the extra quality useful.

I do use a saddle when i am traveling longer distances with steep and rough terrain. You really can't tie anything off a pad as it will just pull it down the horses side. So if I want to pack a lunch or bring some water, I bring the saddle.

Saddlebag 11-21-2013 06:34 PM

My good trail horse was built for bareback until he was 18, then the saddle pad came into use as his withers had become "noticeable".

Fifi6523 11-21-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 4153834)
Are you planning on bareback riding and wondering if you need a pad? Do you ride bareback now?

I prefer to ride bareback because I grew up without a saddle when I was a kid. I feel more comfortable without stirrups and so much stuff between me and the horse. If I think a horse will be a difficult ride, I choose bareback because I am afraid I will get hung up on the saddle if I have to bail off.

Some people have told me that it is not fair to the horse to ride bareback because my weight is not distributed by the bareback pad the way a saddle is designed to do. I have not found this to be true for my horses, but I guess it is hard to tell since a horse can't talk and they are quite stoic creatures. Plus, I am a short girl, about 120 lbs, so I don't think I can hurt a horse much other than a bony butt.

I especially like bareback for keeping me in good condition. I find that it develops my balance and keeps my core very strong. I used to have back aches and shoulder aches, but riding bareback regularly has eliminated that for me. Trotting bareback, posting bareback, and cantering really require a lot of muscle strength and control. Its a great workout.

I do like using a bareback pad. Mine is a Parelli brand and has a nice leather handle for me to grab onto when needed. Its a bit sturdier than most pads. Since I use it every day, I find the extra quality useful.

I do use a saddle when i am traveling longer distances with steep and rough terrain. You really can't tie anything off a pad as it will just pull it down the horses side. So if I want to pack a lunch or bring some water, I bring the saddle.

I want to start riding bareback when I get better at riding. But I was wondering because some people at my stable ride with and without one. =)

Fifi6523 11-21-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 4155178)
My good trail horse was built for bareback until he was 18, then the saddle pad came into use as his withers had become "noticeable".

Oh okay. THANK YOU ^^

Foxtail Ranch 11-22-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi6523 (Post 4156050)
I want to start riding bareback when I get better at riding. But I was wondering because some people at my stable ride with and without one. =)

Do you ride English or Western? How long have you been riding?

You can practice and prepare for bareback by riding without stirrups in a small area with soft footing. It is "No Stirrup November" after all! And riding without stirrups is a great way to improve your seat. You will find that your balance and response to your horse will get better the more you ride without stirrups.

When you are ready, I recommend a bareback pad for a more secure seat and handle to grip for a beginner. You can find them for a low price new, or find one used for cheap. The only thing you need to be sure to avoid are stirrups on bareback pads. Because there is no tree, a pad will just slip with any pull on either side, so stirrups are super dangerous with pads.