The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   A Question About Giving Birth: (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/question-about-giving-birth-316386/)

NicoleH 11-20-2013 10:43 PM

A Question About Giving Birth:

I am 37 weeks pregnant today and I went today for a check up with my OBGYN. At this point I am basically just going in for cervical checks - no dilation yet, so she's still needing her time to bake =). But today, my Dr brought up the topic of induction... Now, my husband and I took a birthing class and in that class they showed us all the statistics and such about induction and how the chances of all kinds of complications, including having to have a csection, rise by astonishing numbers. Before going to that class, I already had known that I wanted to have a natural, unmedicated childbirth and after the class it just made me more sure that going unmedicated was the right way for us. So, when my OB brought this up today it scared the begeebies out of me and basically my thoughts were "I'm only 37 weeks, why are we talking about this right now?". So he basically explained to me about how he doesnt want me to go past 41 weeks and all the spill about how the placenta stops being as productive and why its not safe to go much past that. But, I have been pretty active on another website where a lot of people can talk specifically about issues with pregnancy and so I've heard a lot of stories about how the drugs used to induce labor cause the contractions to be soooo much more intense and that most women cave and get an epi after being induced and THAT scares me! My OB wants us to schedule an induction at least 2 weeks in advance as a "precautionary" measure... =(

So my question is: Have any of you momma's out there been induced and given birth naturally unmedicated? Does anyone have any tips for inducing naturally? (And no, I don't think castor oil is a natural or healthy way to induce, it only causes dehydration and bad cases of the diarrhea)...

tinyliny 11-20-2013 11:27 PM

I was almost 3weeks late for first baby. Induced. Labored about 6 hours then had C section. Second baby, late 2weeks, induced labor, tried to go without epi, caved after 12 hours and had successful VBAC.

Induced labor is much harder to deal with because it comes on fast and hard so you don't have a chance to adapt to it while its still just minor contractions.

You should verify with doc that you can test for babies health with regard to an aging placenta when baby is one week late, and watch the situation. To assume baby will not be OK after only one week late is being a bit over cautious, IMO. Does doc give reasons for this concern?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-20-2013 11:41 PM

Most inductions are for the DOCTOR'S convenience and have nothing to do with mom and/or baby's health. Unless there was an urgent, verifiable medical reason for it, I would refuse adamantly. Too many complications because of inductions.

Equusketch 11-20-2013 11:46 PM

::raises hand:: I was induced AND went without pain meds. I'll share my story in a minute, but wanted to reassure you that the most important objective is to deliver a healthy baby with the least amount of risk factors for you at the same time. I think most women want to deliver as naturally as possible, but sometimes (well, often) the birth plan doesn't go as planned. In my case, I wanted to go into labor naturally and experience the birthing process without pain meds, but I was prepared to do what was best for me and my baby, even if that meant doing it via c-section.

I delivered my baby at exactly 37 weeks. I had dropped a few days prior, but had no other warning signs of impending labor. My water broke one morning while I was getting ready for my 37 week check up. My doctor checked my cervix and found that I was 3cm dialated and 80% effaced. Because my water broke I was admitted to labor and delivery that day. 12 hours passed and still no signs of labor other than occasional braxton hicks contractions that I had been experiencing for about a week. There was no change in my cervix either, so my doctor decided to induce me as the risk of infection grew if we waited too long. About 3:00am I got up to pee and as I was walking out of the bathroom I was in full out labor. I went from nothing to HUGE contractions back to back. I labored hard for literally 1 hour. It was sooooooo intense, but luckily in my case it went fast (felt like forever at the time). Not going to go into the details of how bad she tore me, but I guess pushed so hard she literally flew into the doctor's arms. Not gonna lie, it felt like a mack trunk ramming me in the stomach with very little time to catch my breath before the next contraction. However, the moment they laid my baby in my arms the pain completely disappeared. Even if I had planned for an epidural there was no time to have one anyway, so I just had to push on.

The thing about having a baby is that everybody's experience is so unique and just because I tore bad and had a SUPER fast and intense induced labor doesnt neccessarily mean you will. If you really are determined to avoid an epidural, I've heard wonderful things about water births to lessen the pain. If you do get far into labor and opt for an epidural, don't look at it as a sign of defeat, but rather an opportunity to really enjoy and savor every moment of the birthing process. I've heard about the castor oil remedy, but not sure how safe that really is. I've also heard going for a long walk can bring on more contractions and speed up labor. I've even heard sex can do it too. Regardless of how much you stick to or stray from your birth plan you will be no more or no less completely infatuated with your little one. Nothing can compare to the exhilaration of seeing your baby for the first time. Good luck mama!

NicoleH 11-20-2013 11:49 PM

See this whole thing caught me off guard because I just dont feel like it's necessary PLUS the fact that I want to have her natural with no pain meds... Also, I haven't had a single complication at all this whole pregnancy. I never had any early bleeding that needed addressing, I never have had anything negative the whole pregnancy besides the pregnancy itself. Even when he told me that I might bleed after cervical checks because of my cervix still being closed: nothing, no blood at all.... So as far as medical issues are concerned, I really don't see the need to be discussing that until something comes up, and even then I feel like the chances of that happening are low considering my pregnancy has been ideal in regards to no complications... So this concerns me about our dr and has me kinda scared that he thinks we're going to have to induce..

tinyliny 11-20-2013 11:54 PM

I think one reason I ended up needing pain relief was that I labored for so long after being induced , and the last ten days prior to induction , I had had Braxton Hicks ALL night long, sun came up and contractions ceased. Very frustrating, as i kept thinking " this isit!", but it was just anothwr day spent , huge and waiting to pop.
I was dog tired before labor even started , and the don't call it "labor" for nothing!

Equusketch 11-20-2013 11:58 PM

As Dreamcatcher Arabians mentioned, I would definately ask your doctor WHY he wants to induce at 41 weeks if there are no complications right now. I was induced out of neccessity because my water broke 3 weeks early, but it was not planned. The only thing I can think of to induce early (if there are no complications like high blood pressure) is if the baby is large or if by 41 weeks the baby has stopped growing, but there's no way to predict that as long as the baby is doing ok now.

Lucky1inKy 11-21-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 4149730)
Most inductions are for the DOCTOR'S convenience and have nothing to do with mom and/or baby's health. Unless there was an urgent, verifiable medical reason for it, I would refuse adamantly. Too many complications because of inductions.

Absolutely agree. At 37 weeks there is absolutely No reason to even be discussing induction if all is well for both mother and child. And if u do go into labor on ur own u need to make **** sure they dont put u on pit. U will more than likely have an IV with fluids and u need to be sure pit isn't piggy backed in. If it is ...ask why.
Posted via Mobile Device

4horses 11-21-2013 01:16 AM

I don't have children so can only comment on what my cousin went through. She wanted to have the baby at home with the midwife. Things did not go as planned at all. The baby was huge and wouldn't come out. I don't remember how many hours she was in labor (definitely longer than most births), but she had to be rushed to the hospital due to complications.

Her second child was born at home with no complications though.

waresbear 11-21-2013 01:24 AM

You want to know what they call induced labor without pain meds? Torture. You take every **** drug they offer you when the time comes.