The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Anxiety (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/anxiety-316978/)

Morgonesse 11-22-2013 10:07 AM

Anxiety

I don't really know if this is the right category but I need some advice about riding anxiety. Last year I went on a trail ride with my family, we were going down a hill when my brothers horse kicked mine. Ever since then I have had anxiety when going down a hill and even slight anxiety going up hill. Also I have anxiety about falling. I fell this summer while also trail riding but I did get back up and kept riding the same horse, but now I am terrified of me or the horse doing something silly and me not knowing how to react to the situation. For the hill anxiety I want to try and ride down the same hill this summer but for the rest of it I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 11-22-2013 10:09 AM

Lessons. You need riding skills and confidence and lessons will give you both.
Posted via Mobile Device

Morgonesse 11-22-2013 10:13 AM

I have been trying to get lessons for a while now. The best I have had is about two real lessons. And asking my friend who grew up with horses for advice as we are ridding together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ninamebo 11-22-2013 10:25 AM

Same thing happened to me on a trail ride, only the horse got my shinbone, not my horse. We were in the middle of nowhere. Fun times.

Start off riding a mole hill. Not sure how many hills you have lying around but start off really small. When you ride them, lean back on your pockets going down, and focus on taking nice deep breaths. Don't look down at the ground, look forward or up if you have to until you are off the hill. Really, practicing hills and practicing calming yourself down in stressful situations are going to do it. I find it always helps to have a close friend around to help talk you through it.

Good luck!

Morgonesse 11-22-2013 10:37 AM

Ok. I just get worried looking at the top of a hill it seems sooo steep and I know the horse can handle a hill like that but I panic. Last time I went riding I focused on just riding up and down a not soo steep hill and it went alright anxiety wise. I live in pa so hills are pretty common.lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Linny Blue 11-22-2013 10:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering because of this, and hope that you realise you are not alone. Many of those other riders that you may perceive has being fearless might just be feeling the same as you.

Two weeks ago I went on a rider confidence workshop, which used NLP (neuro linguistic programming) hypnotherapy, and group discussions where we analysed what makes up keep wanting to ride even though there are fears. We also had sessions on a mechanical horse that produces read outs of rider position, ie if you are in front of or behind the movement, or if you put weight more to the left or the right etc. It was very useful, and I would definitely advise googling for similar workshops near to where you live.

Meanwhile, just take things at your own pace, remember you don't have to prove anything to anyone else, and above all, B R E A T H E, nice and deep and slow, and put a little smile on your face when you're riding. Weird I know, but it's harder to feel anxious when you are breathing calmly and smiling!

Good luck, hope you let us know how you get on.