The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   treat do's and donts' (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/treat-dos-donts-317226/)

Agongos 11-22-2013 03:56 PM

treat do's and donts'

hello guys. i want to make a horse treat that is actually healthy. like something i don't have to feel bad about giving to my horses, but still is appealing to them. what can i put in some home made treats that is good for horse. preferably soothing that will last and not go bad in a couple days.

as always thanks for your help!

tlkng1 11-22-2013 04:38 PM

There are many recipes out there for horse cookies/treats but they don't have the preservative ingredients you get with commercially available treats; preservatives not available to the general consumer. Since most, if not all, of the available recipes call for molasses, you aren't going to keep them more than a few days, maybe a couple more days if you can keep them refrigerated.

Easy to Make Horse Treat Recipes | Homemade Horse Treats

kenda 11-22-2013 04:42 PM

Carrots. They last a long time, you can break them or cut them into smaller pieces. They're unprocessed. They're cheap. Horses love them. Ummm...they're orange, and who doesn't love orange?

Agongos 11-22-2013 04:56 PM

thank you both but are carrots really very healthy? i have no clue about the nutrition in carrots.

kenda 11-22-2013 05:39 PM

Unless you are feeding bucket loads of any one type of treat, I don't think you really need to worry about it. (Barring allergies or digestive disorders)

Carrots have vitamins and minerals in them, plus a bit of natural sugar, which we all need anyway.

Viranh 11-22-2013 05:45 PM

All the horses I've had have loved the big alfalfa cubes or pellets (pack pellets is what they're called sometimes? They're 1" in diameter at least.) as treats.

I also like these since they're so low NSC and smell so yummy, but they're expensive:
Skode's Horse Treats Home Page My horses go nuts for them, though!

PaintHorseMares 11-22-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agongos (Post 4161706)
thank you both but are carrots really very healthy? i have no clue about the nutrition in carrots.

A tremendous source of vitamin A for the immune system and skin health. Look at various threads about vitamin A and rain rot.

verona1016 11-22-2013 07:13 PM

I baked horse treats a couple times until I realized that they didn't last very long and my horse really liked carrots, apples, alfalfa cubes, etc. much more!

I currently have a couple types of treats- plain old alfalfa pellets if I'm going to be giving a lot of treats, Berry-flavored alfalfa cube treats for "everyday" treats, and Super Stars for special occasions. I also occasionally bring carrots, and on rare occasions apples.

My horse may be a bit spoiled :oops:

Northernstar 11-22-2013 07:26 PM

Lots of carrots for my mares!! I buy the 3 lb. bags @ the grocery store (really inexpensive) and chop them up into about 1" pieces while making dinner, etc... I put them in empty Sand Clear tubs in the frig. When it's time to go out back to do chores/feed/turn-out/groundwork or just check on them, they always know I have carrots in my pocket. I have them give me a kiss, bow, or reward excellent behavior with them, and they love it! :)

PrivatePilot 11-22-2013 07:46 PM

Am I one of the few that still uses the good old fashioned sugar cubes?

We use carrots a lot as well. Between sugar cubes sparingly, and carrots less sparingly, they're overjoyed.