The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-advice-31742/)

RideroftheWind 07-16-2009 10:55 AM

Jumping Advice

I take lessons at this stable, and unfortunatly :cry: I don't own my own horse. I ride the school horses. I am usually pretty decent at jumping (I've jumped 3 ft.) but now I'm having trouble with combonations.
I recently started riding a school horse named Pebbles. My mistake? Making her my favourite pony. Really, I can't help loving her! So, naturally, I'd ride her. But that's the problem. She's not the easiest horse to ride. Lets just say I'm the only kid at my barn who wants to ride her. She's really strong, and tends to speed up when I trot or canter her. She's a lovely jumper, and with single jumps, we're great. But once she starts combonations, she just want to keep going faster and faster, until what should've been 3 strides becomes 1 huge stride.
My last lesson, I fell off during a tripple combonation twice :cry: and nearly fell off three times. I'm still determined to keep riding Pebbles and keep working on my jumps, so I'd be really greatful for any jumping advice.

goldilockz 07-16-2009 11:00 AM

Well, I'm not the greatest jumper, and only jumped a few times a few years ago, but I can tell you that patience and determination will get you very far. I think it's awesome that you are so willing to work on a horse that is kind of difficult for you. It will build your confidence and teach you more than you can learn on a horse that has autopilot!

Good luck!

RideroftheWind 07-16-2009 11:52 AM

Yep, I guess practice makes perfect (:

FoxyRoxy1507 07-16-2009 11:59 AM

what i can suggest is try a double combination, jump the first fence and then stop her, wait for a second then trot her to the second fence and do the same thing. try that a couple times and see how she responds. once you can get that down you can bump it up to a triple combo. this will get her to slow down and really work on listening to you so that she doesnt assume what you want, she waits for you to tell her. i used to have to do this with my gelding, if he hasnt been jumping in a while he does the same thing. also you can try when your trotting or cantering trot a couple steps and ask her to stop then trot a couple more steps then stop and ask her to back up, switch it up a bit so once again she's listening to you. once you master the trot work to the canter and do the same thing.

hope that helps!

RideroftheWind 07-16-2009 12:25 PM

Thanks! I'll try that

JadedEyes 07-16-2009 01:09 PM

You could also try to do the first fence then go to the left or right. Do this a few times. Then go to the second fence first, do that a few times. Then put the two together. But keep on pushing her. Make sure you keep your leg on. That will let her know that you want her to go straight.

RideroftheWind 07-16-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadedEyes (Post 352244)
You could also try to do the first fence then go to the left or right. Do this a few times. Then go to the second fence first, do that a few times. Then put the two together. But keep on pushing her. Make sure you keep your leg on. That will let her know that you want her to go straight.

Hmmm... thanks for the advice but I don't think that would work with Pebbles. She's a bit of a speed demon and if I tried to pull her away she'd probably trip over herself. If I put on leg she'd just speed up more, and I don't want that. I'm trying to get her to slow donwn. But thanks anyways

1dog3cats17rodents 07-16-2009 01:22 PM

Set up a series of jumps, all either one stride or a bounce. Just stay out of vher way and let her figure it out. She can't take out strides in that and will have to figure out how to slow down to fit in the stride without running into the jump

FoxyRoxy1507 07-16-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadedEyes (Post 352244)

most of the time thats not a good idea, it teaches horses they can run out or it creates stoppers if they think they can dip a different way

lovemyponies 07-16-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents (Post 352255)
Set up a series of jumps, all either one stride or a bounce. Just stay out of vher way and let her figure it out. She can't take out strides in that and will have to figure out how to slow down to fit in the stride without running into the jump

I was doing that with my horse who tends to rush and she ended basically bolting after the very last jump, but she was very fresh, but it was frustrating:?