The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Just wondering.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/just-wondering-31756/)

MA01 07-16-2009 01:59 PM

Just wondering..

Hello Everyone,

So the past couple of days I've been around this place, where you race with your horses, that kind of contest where the horses may only run in pace and they have this, not wagon, but in Danish it's called a ''Sulk'' or something, behind them with the rider on.
So today I met this little girl who took care of a couple of big thoroughbreds in the stables, and she told me alot about the horses and so on.
And then she showed me this really tall 2-years old stallion thoroughbred, Malto, which stood with it's back to us in it's box. So she tapped and pushed it on ''it's behind'' until it turned around. It was a very gentle giant and playfull young horse, but I'd just got this impression that first of all, you shouldn't walk behind a horse, and second, that it could kick if you tapped/pushed it on it's behind. I don't know if it's true though, but do horses tend to kick or do something else when doing that?

Thanks in advance!

~MA01

Scoutrider 07-16-2009 02:56 PM

No matter what, you always take a risk when you walk behind a horse. It is safest to walk really close, rubbing past their rump (they can't get the momentum for a hard kick when you're so close), or way out around, like an absolute minimum of six-ten feet away to avoid feet altogether. Even the most laid back horse can kick out of he's startled, and I personally would be especially careful around a 2 year old anything, especially a stallion. As long as you give the horse warning and have his attention, most (not all, there are some habitual kickers out there) horses are okay to walk behind with some care on the part of the handler.

goldilockz 07-16-2009 02:57 PM

It really depends on the horse, but it's best not to do something like that just in case that's the day the horse gets annoyed and kicks.

Most horses, the reason you don't do something like that is that you might startle the horse since they can't see directly behind them, and might not know you are there until you touch them.

MA01 07-16-2009 03:07 PM

Yeah that makes sense.
But can they still get annoyed and kick, even though you have their attention?
(And is it best to say something to it, instead of touching it to get it's attention?)

Because It kind of shocked me that this 12 year old girl (though she looked 9) just walked right to his boos and tapped/slapped it so it would turn around. It responded really well and all, but I guess it depends on the horse.

goldilockz 07-16-2009 03:08 PM

Absolutely they can still get annoyed and kick! Even the most well-mannered horse can have a day that he just won't tolerate it.

I really try my best not to be in a situation where I have to walk directly up behind a horse. I'd rather grab a crop or something and lightly tap him/her from the side where I have a better chance of getting out of the way if he/she kicks.

MA01 07-16-2009 03:16 PM

Yeah, I also personally do not like to be in such a situation, as ive always been told not to walk behind a horse.

oh, and I noticed one of the horses tossed its head alot when I tapped some of the other horses in the same barn, and I wonder if its because its jealous/excited? And it also strected it neck out and tilted its head, I dont know what that means either?

goldilockz 07-16-2009 03:20 PM

Probably jealous if other horses were getting attention :lol:

Dixie got jealous when the vet was handling AZ. I kept telling her she didn't want in on that action, but she was probably convinced he was getting treats. She kept whinnying and carrying on :P

MA01 07-16-2009 03:32 PM

Hahaha, aww how funny xD

oh and something else (lol);
Is the horse able to kick you when you are standin next to it? Because Im not sure whether they can kick to their sides?

goldilockz 07-16-2009 03:43 PM

They can. The kick isn't as forceful as a kick from behind, but it still hurts... a LOT :lol:

One thing you can do if you're a little nervous standing next to their behind, is place your fist in their thigh lightly (just placed there resting, not pushing). You will be able to feel the horse tense and shift positions. It also reminds the horse "Hey, I'm still standing here buddy". I always have my hand in a horse's thigh when massaging, just in case I hit a sore spot or something. Hope that helps :)

MA01 07-16-2009 03:46 PM

lol oh I could imagine! :lol:

Thanks alot for your great answers, very helpful! :D