The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hay (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hay-31763/)

ScoutRacer 07-16-2009 03:58 PM

Hay

For those of you who have to feed hay I am wondering what type of hay you use. I'm going to plant a hay field next spring and I'm doing a Mix of Timothy and Alfalfa. I am curious to know if this mix will be popular if we try to sell what we don't need.

farmpony84 07-16-2009 04:03 PM

I buy orchard grass round bales and peel them... I also buy squares of Alfalfa for my oldest and youngest horses.... I think that mix will be pretty popular...

I'm paying $9.00 for alfalfa here now...

ScoutRacer 07-16-2009 04:10 PM

Alright. I've been told cough cough by my fiance that feeding straight rich alfalfa causes founder... so that is why we are mixing in Timothy with the Alfalfa.

We just got 189 bails and picked it up off the field and took it back home and paid $1.50 per small square bail.

farmpony84 07-16-2009 04:40 PM

I only feed a couple flakes AM or PM. I peel the roundbales as well (which are the orchard grass/timothy mix). I think regular hay is going for around 5.50 a bale here... Alot of people don't like to feed alfalfa (straight). I think y ou have a good selection though.

G and K's Mom 07-16-2009 05:08 PM

Both of our horse's were raised on alfalfa, no founder........ Now they get a timothy/grass/alfalfa mix. Once this batch of hay is gone if we are not be able to get the same stuff it will be back to grass hay morning and lunch with straight alfalfa for dinner.

The mix your planting is really popular around my area. This year is just such a lousy hay year. Come winter the price is going to out to lunch.

My Beau 07-16-2009 06:18 PM

I have about 50 timothy bales in the barn. And... maybe 5 timothy/orchard grass bales (our neighbors just baled their field and want to know if our horses like their hay... I hope they do!)

The timothy bales were $5.50. We picked up.
Our neighbors charge $4.50 delivered, so since we're across the street it should be prettttty cheap.

The only horses that got straight alfalfa at the barn where I used to board were the broodmares. And only a few weeks before foaling and until the foal was weaned. The weanlings/yearlings also get some along with their regular hay.

7Ponies 07-16-2009 07:39 PM

I feed Bermuda or Bahia or Tifton 44 (all southern hays). Also feed Timothy/Alfalfa mix when I can get is (very pricey here, typically $22.00 or more per square bale). I like the alfalfa cubes (I soak them in water prior to feeding).

ScoutRacer 07-16-2009 08:13 PM

I'm seeing all these hay prices in the $5 range... we got our hay off the field for $1.50/small bail.... I'm wondering how can hay cost so much more in other parts of the country? Are there hay shortages in some regions of the country?

Barrelracer Up 07-16-2009 08:24 PM

When I was in a better situation I bought the huge compressed blocks of alfalfa from Larsen's. I never had any issue with founder with them on straight alfalfa with 12/7 or 24/7 access to it.
I also like peanut hay, which has a similar nutrition content as alfalfa.
They also got 3/4 scp Ultium twice daily with 1 oz dac oil to all and Optimum Flex for my older guys.

goldilockz 07-16-2009 08:44 PM

Grass hay here :lol: My hosses aren't too picky and it's really just to give them something to nom while they're in the corral. About 2 flakes a day plus turned out for a couple of hours.