Possible breeding; but first I have some questions...
At Magic's show yesterday, I was approached by a man interested in breeding his stud to my mare. While I have no interest in breeding Magic (I don't want her laid up with a pregnancy and held back by a foal), I mentioned the possibility of breeding her dam, Tanner. He looked at Tanner and said she'd do just as well.
Now, I don't have room for a seventh horse, nor do I have the proper facilities or time for a foal right now. I'm considering asking this guy if he can board her and the foal, and if he'd want to buy the foal once it's weaned. But I've never done any breeding outside of having 2-Pak bred once before he was gelded and Ruby was pasture-bred to our own stud, so I don't understand a lot of what I should or shouldn't expect, or what would be an outrageous fee or anything.
Another thing I'm not sure about is what the foal might be worth. I've never bothered to keep up on what horses did what and all of that; I know Tanner is Mr San Peppy's granddaughter, but I couldn't tell you anything about Mr San Peppy without looking him up.
Here's my mare, Tanner: Tanner Hutch Quarter Horse
And the stud, Charged by Silver: Charged By Silver Quarter Horse
(apparently he's grey, around 15h, and has won a bunch of roping competitions. I haven't heard anything else on him, and didn't know what to ask about.)
Apparently his stud fee is $600, but wouldn't I get a broodmare fee, since he approached me? I'm not exactly sure how any of that would work.
Either way, I'm not even sure if I want to go through with it. I'm considering just selling Tanner, but I wouldn't know what she's worth either. For now, I'm just throwing around the idea.
It sounds to me, ignorant as I am to the breeding industry, that he is advertising his stud's services.
Well I would first make sure that the stallion is compatible to the mare you want to breed...If they won't produce a correct nice baby then I personally wouldn't do it. Do you have pics of the mare and stallion? You want to make sure the baby will be marketable in case something falls through on either end.
Breeding is always such a sticky situation IMO...theres so many pros/cons I still haven't decided if i would wnat ot breed my mare or not.
I have pictures of my mare, obviously, but I'd have to ask for pictures of the stud. I tried googling him and haven't found anything other than a few offspring; I haven't even seen him, in all honesty. I know that, if I do decide to breed her, I want to meet the stud before hand, just because I don't really want to show up with my mare just to find some ugly little thing. XD
does he want the baby or is he just saying your mare and his stud would make a great baby? I'm curious what his intentions are?
I will tell you what the stallion owner has in mind.
When a stallion wants to show what his stud can produce they will often look around for mares to breed. Many will buy them and others will lease a good mare to test their stud out on.
What this guy seems to want is to get a foal on the ground to advertise his stallion while YOU foot all the expenses.
First YOU PAY HIM NOTHING ! If he really wants your mare he can lease her and the details can be agreed upon. But anyway you slice it YOU pay nothing. Lease your mare free to him is a possible alternative and agree between to two of you what is to be done with the foal, or even who owns it. If he leases the mare the foal usually belongs to the person that leased her.
If you really want a foal then agree to a specific price NOW to what you will pay when born and cover all possibilities ( such as a problem with birthing) and AGREE NOW if there will be any medical expenses and WHO is responsible for them and to what extent.
This CAN be fruitful for both parties if everyone is on the same page and everything is agreed to but a nightmare if not.
Doesn't sound like you have a need for the foal, so if I were you, I would offer him to lease your mare on a broodmare lease, provided he insures her.
Just make sure you have the space, time, and money to deal with this foal. Otherwise it will just be another pointless breeding.
Please THINK before you DO.
I agree with spyder, i think he is just looking to get some foals to promote his stud, and that you foot the bill for everything.
spyder is exactly right
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0