The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from the Hoosier state (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-hoosier-state-31767/)

themacpack 07-16-2009 03:50 PM

Hello from the Hoosier state

I am back in the "horse world". Growing up, we always had a horse (more like two or three or six) in the family, participated in 4-H, etc. When I was 16, life changed and I sold the last horse I owned.
The love of horses, though, is apparently hereditary, because a few short years later, I was the mother of a little girl who was born with a need for horses. Life, though, was not really horse-ready for us at that point - and then there was my city-slicker, non-horse loving, husband in the picture. Finally, last year, things fell into place and I was able to give my daughter the best 12th birthday present ever - her very own horse (provided she shares with mom, lol). We ended up finding a beautiful 4 year old Thoroughbred, whom my daughter has named Aero, and who has stolen our collective hearts (even that of my city-slicker husband).
I had forgotten what life is like when you share it with a horse. I honestly don't know what I did all those years when there were none in my life.

goldilockz 07-16-2009 04:53 PM

Welcome back to the horsey world! :)

Jaxmom 07-18-2009 12:35 PM

I too am back aftere 20 years off. Have a 21 year old daughter who I made sure got the Horsey bug and have lived vicariously through her all of these years. She's had her horse since 7th grade, but as a returning adult rider I had lost my confidence in my abilities and didn't ride her horse much. Last year I adopted an older mare from a rescue and cannot believe that I waited this long to reclaim that part of my life! My non horsey city slicker husband is actually turning into a great farm hand now. Isn't it great to have a relationship with a horse again? I get just as much pleasure just hanging out with Jax(my little adoptee) as I do riding. Matter of fact I thought all these years I missed riding, and it turns out that's not the case, I miss the relationship between horse and owner, at this stage in life for me the riding is a bonus, I'm just as happy hanging out in the field with her.

themacpack 07-18-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxmom (Post 354001)
I too am back aftere 20 years off. Have a 21 year old daughter who I made sure got the Horsey bug and have lived vicariously through her all of these years. She's had her horse since 7th grade, but as a returning adult rider I had lost my confidence in my abilities and didn't ride her horse much. Last year I adopted an older mare from a rescue and cannot believe that I waited this long to reclaim that part of my life! My non horsey city slicker husband is actually turning into a great farm hand now. Isn't it great to have a relationship with a horse again? I get just as much pleasure just hanging out with Jax(my little adoptee) as I do riding. Matter of fact I thought all these years I missed riding, and it turns out that's not the case, I miss the relationship between horse and owner, at this stage in life for me the riding is a bonus, I'm just as happy hanging out in the field with her.

You put it perfectly. I have honestly only been ON Aero a handful of times in the year since we got her for my daughter....but having her in my life is what I value.

Jaxmom 07-19-2009 03:45 PM

Lots cheaper than a psychiatrist!!!! and much better for the spirit.