The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Sitting the trot? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/sitting-trot-31796/)

Endless Journey Girl 07-16-2009 10:10 PM

Sitting the trot?

Ok so I wonder if someone might be able to give me some tips, so I've always had troubles sitting the trot for some reason. I've been lucky i've ridden a lot of horses with smooth trots and my instructor has always put me on horses with smooth quiet trots. But lately my instructor has started switching me to different horses and the one I rode tonight had a really springy trot and I just COULD NOT sit to it. I tried to sit up, move to the motion of the horse and relax but it just wasn't working for me. I took my stirrups away and tried and I stayed on fine but could feel myself bouncing and I don't know what to do about it. Any tips on exercises I could do? Because no matter how hard I try to sit up straight, move with the horse and relax my body it's just not working for me.

ilovemyPhillip 07-17-2009 02:59 AM

Hmm, sitting trot is hard for me to do, also. What i do is really press my seat down and hold on with my leg minus hittin the horses sides.

smrobs 07-17-2009 03:17 AM

Some horses, it takes a very talented person to sit the trot. My Perch has a very animated trot and I cannot sit it no matter what I do. Every time I tried, I would end up getting bounced higher and higher every step.

Barry Godden 07-17-2009 10:54 AM

Learning trot - buy a copy of the British Horse Society manual ISBN O-872119-33-6 Go to page 31.
Instructions: 1 Find experienced, rythmic, steady horse. Nothing fast skittish, flirty or fancy. A nice broad flat back is admirable. Cobs are great.
Adjust stirrup leathers to allow ball of foot to rest with toes pointing up at 45 deg angle
Squeeze horse into slow trot
Sense rythm of horse's 2 beat movement (up/down up/down). Don't allow horse to speed up, keep pace slow and gentle
Rise slightly and in tune with the beat, off knee tucked into knee roll and ball of foot resting on bar of stirrup iron. Sense the upward pressure from the horse.
Don't rise too high. Take care to be in perfect upright balance.
Incline body very very slightly fowards from pelvis to absorb forward speed.
When dropping back down into saddle take care to land softly on saddle.
Keep up and down motion fluid - no hesitations.
Keep very loose contact with horses mouth thru reins to the bit - horses head will move only slightly at the trot. Take care not to jolt bit in the horse's mouth.
Hands and arms must be kept still despite motion of horse,
Keep head up and still, face direction of horse's movement
At beginning ride horse on lunge line with friend keeping the horse at steady, slowish, speed from the centre of the circle.
Rest and revert to walk on regular basis. When resuming trot, Rise to trot with squeeze of heel against horse's flank. At same instant call out to horse: "TROT ON"
Practice, practice, practice, go round and round in circles.
PS It will help to take Pilates lessons to strengthen stomach & back muscles. The under thigh muscles will take time to develop.
At first you may get lower back ache and even stomach muscle ache.
Always practice on flat level grassy or sandy surface of a fenced arena - no hills nor slopes.
The better you get, the easier it will become.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-17-2009 11:07 AM

try rolling your pelvis so you are sitting more on the pockets of your butt and remember to breath and relax the bottom part of your back. one of my geldings has a VERY VERY rough trot and after working on it for a while with no stirrups and sitting on my butt i learned how to sit it. it does take time but this will be good for you and def make you a better rider.

Endless Journey Girl 07-17-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyRoxy1507 (Post 353098)
try rolling your pelvis so you are sitting more on the pockets of your butt and remember to breath and relax the bottom part of your back. one of my geldings has a VERY VERY rough trot and after working on it for a while with no stirrups and sitting on my butt i learned how to sit it. it does take time but this will be good for you and def make you a better rider.

Thanks, yea I'm planning on doing lots of no stirrups, like I said I can stay on at the trot with out stirrups I just bounce a lot.

Endless Journey Girl 07-17-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 353086)
Learning trot - buy a copy of the British Horse Society manual ISBN O-872119-33-6 Go to page 31.
Instructions: 1 Find experienced, rythmic, steady horse. Nothing fast skittish, flirty or fancy. A nice broad flat back is admirable. Cobs are great.
Adjust stirrup leathers to allow ball of foot to rest with toes pointing up at 45 deg angle
Squeeze horse into slow trot
Sense rythm of horse's 2 beat movement (up/down up/down). Don't allow horse to speed up, keep pace slow and gentle
Rise slightly and in tune with the beat, off knee tucked into knee roll and ball of foot resting on bar of stirrup iron. Sense the upward pressure from the horse.
Don't rise too high. Take care to be in perfect upright balance.
Incline body very very slightly fowards from pelvis to absorb forward speed.
When dropping back down into saddle take care to land softly on saddle.
Keep up and down motion fluid - no hesitations.
Keep very loose contact with horses mouth thru reins to the bit - horses head will move only slightly at the trot. Take care not to jolt bit in the horse's mouth.
Hands and arms must be kept still despite motion of horse,
Keep head up and still, face direction of horse's movement
At beginning ride horse on lunge line with friend keeping the horse at steady, slowish, speed from the centre of the circle.
Rest and revert to walk on regular basis. When resuming trot, Rise to trot with squeeze of heel against horse's flank. At same instant call out to horse: "TROT ON"
Practice, practice, practice, go round and round in circles.
PS It will help to take Pilates lessons to strengthen stomach & back muscles. The under thigh muscles will take time to develop.
At first you may get lower back ache and even stomach muscle ache.
Always practice on flat level grassy or sandy surface of a fenced arena - no hills nor slopes.
The better you get, the easier it will become.

Unfortunately this doesn't help me, I am perfectly fine doing the rising trot(other than being on the wrong diagonal the odd time), it's sitting trot that I struggle with.

wintec 07-19-2009 09:00 AM

Working without stirrups will probably help a bit so good job trying that. Umm you just need to relax. Especially your stomach muscles. They tend to tense up when sitting the trot so you need to train them to relax and after that the trot will feel smoother.

PoptartShop 07-19-2009 12:38 PM

Ah, at my lesson Wednesday night, we were doing a lot of non-stirrup work, & we had to post AND sit the trot. :O
Daytona's trot can be a bit bouncy to sit to...but what really helped me not bounce as much was to sit back just a little bit (not too much), & just let my legs hang there. If you grip with your legs, then it makes it even worse, I found. Just try to relax, & let your legs hang down- but make sure you move your toes up & down, that usually helps as well.

moomoo 07-19-2009 01:53 PM

Put a $50 bill under your bum and tell anyone watching if it falls to the ground its theirs to keep - you won't bounce :-P

Imagine someone has punched you in the stomach, so your bum is tucked underneath you and your stomach is relaxed :-)