The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   My hands shake a lot during riding help needed (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/my-hands-shake-lot-during-riding-318346/)

nikarphar 11-24-2013 05:36 PM

My hands shake a lot during riding help needed

My hands shake a lot during riding. like not the hand shake of anxiety just a rhythmic up down when I post.As I ride saddleseat I am supposed to keep them still.Does anybody have any advise or help for me? Thank You

boots 11-24-2013 08:49 PM

That's a pretty common problem for riders in all disciplines.

One thing the *might* help is: Tie a length of string to each bracket the stirrup leathers go through. Have the string marked with a knot that will sit at the top of your finger where your rein goes through when your hands are in good position. Then try to keep the tension on the string even while you are riding.

Ugh. This is hard to describe.

When I rode saddleseat, I held my hands too low. Much more used to riding hunters and western. My instructor kept telling me to hold them like I was reading a book. That didn't really help, but the string did. She thought it would make me dependent on having a string, but I really just needed to develop some "motor memory" for the new position. I became used to the exact place where my hands should be and they never waivered after a few times with the string.

Good luck and have fun. You'll get this. :)

tinyliny 11-24-2013 11:50 PM

Saddleseat has got to be THE hardest way to ride there is.

Eolith 11-25-2013 12:34 AM

Given that this is a problem that seems to be more noticeable when you are posting the trot, make sure that you are not unconsciously using the reins to help you balance while posting. It's somewhat instinctive to want to use our hands for balance or to catch ourselves when we feel unsteady, but that's the last thing that you want to do while riding because your hands need to communicate through the reins and you certainly don't want to create unnecessary "interference".

The best thing would be to practice on the longe line with a school horse, posting the trot with no reins. As you get better, post with your arms held out to the sides, in front of you, over your head, etc. If you don't have someone to longe your steady-eddy horse, you can also try posting the trot with your horse on a really long loose rein so that you don't feel as tempted to try to "steady" yourself with the reins.

boots 11-25-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 4175778)
Saddleseat has got to be THE hardest way to ride there is.

But when you have a good day you'll grin like never before! :D