The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   How long to grow out a "bad trim" before correcting (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/how-long-grow-out-bad-trim-318681/)

Cinnys Whinny 11-25-2013 10:04 AM

How long to grow out a "bad trim" before correcting

While I was recovering from surgery my BO took care of Cinny in regards to hooves. She just had her farrier do him when he did the lesson horses. The last 2 trims were from this farrier. He also did half the boarders horse's too so I figured all was ok. Well it wasn't.

When I started working Cinny again I noticed that he seemed really sore and stiff for the first 20 minutes, which isn't like him. Then other people started saying their horses were also stiff. Then my friend's came up completely lame and I heard through the grape vine hers wasn't the only one. All done by the same farrier the same day.

Each of Cinny's feet has a completely different angle. On two of them the heels are looking run under and his toes were left too long on all of them. So now I want to get MY farrier back in there but I'm wondering how long I should wait to correct Cinny. He was trimmed 5 weeks ago. It would be about his normal time for a trim (his toes grow really fast) but should I let him grow a little longer so there is more to work with when correcting him?

flytobecat 11-25-2013 10:10 AM

Four weeks should be enough time, but some horses feet grow faster than others.

horselovinguy 11-25-2013 10:32 AM

You should not wait any longer.
You should in my opin
ion call your farrier and explain what has happened to the horse and why it happened (You were ill and trusted another to get his hoof care when you could not, big mistake you now know)

If you are at a 5 week timeframe, your farrier should be able to come out and fix some of the issues and give the horse some needed proper support and relief. You are so close to the 6 week period of time that is common for work to be done...
It may take a time or two of growth for that hoof to be completely back to the right angles but the longer you wait the more undue stresses are being put on the anatomical hoof and leg structures....

If your horse has great growth of his hooves normally, it might all be able to be corrected in one trimming...

A good farrier is worth their weight in gold, and then some!!
You might get some static from your farrier, but.... the explanation will help him understand where you went off to. If you were a regular customer, he knows something is up that you have not been in contact with him already... now to get your horse, you and the farrier back on track together.

Good luck.

~*~anebel~*~ 11-25-2013 10:57 AM

The next day is when I'd get it corrected. Stall rest the horse if needed and don't exercise him. Depending on the damage you may have to have the farrier out weekly or every 2-3 weeks to slowly correct the feet. Letting them be uneven and long, and then making a big change, will cause lameness. IMO I would not have waited until now (5 weeks later) to do something...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 11-25-2013 11:03 AM

You should wait as little time as possible to correct bad work. While it may take more than one visit off the normal schedule, the longer they're walking around on bad work, the more likely they'll suffer ill effects from it. This is up to and including the next day after bad work, even if the foot is too short to really correct bad work, a good farrier may be able to at least improve the balance or offer pads or other suggestions to protect the foot as it does grow out.

ETA: I don't say that to criticize you at all- you had no reason to expect anything was amiss and trusted someone to do right by you and your horse, you just have to deal with the fallout now.

Cinnys Whinny 11-25-2013 01:04 PM

I'm not taking it as criticism, it's ok. I knew he was stiff but I thought it was the cold, and then I thought maybe he's getting older or lack of fitness as neither of us are fit right now.Then after another thread I wrote on here and figuring out all the horses at the stable that was trimmed by him were off or lame, I finally put two and two together.

It's just a lesson to pay a little more attention to what is going on. Though I feel like a bad "horse mom" right now. :(

Clava 11-25-2013 01:22 PM

If they are closely trimmed it may not be possible to do much until they have grown...there is a limit to how much hooves can be trimmed without time to grow and there are no fast fixes.

loosie 11-25-2013 05:23 PM

Hope the BO has been informed of all the lame horses after her farrier. I would also inform the farrier in question. Feedback may help him improve too.