The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Ugh, I don't know what to do.. HELP ME! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ugh-i-dont-know-what-do-31879/)

Endless Journey Girl 07-18-2009 01:12 AM

Ugh, I don't know what to do.. HELP ME!

Ok so I wrote about this in a different thread like a day or two ago. I found an ad for a horse for free lease on the internet. Turns out the horse belongs to a friend of mine. I would get to lease him for free starting in Sept to probably the end of may while she is away at university. I get all his tack and everything that goes with him, and even free use of her trailer if I want to show him or anything. I'm planning on keeping him at the farm where he is currently boarded which is $200 a month. He's got really tough feet and she said she usually gets them trimmed around every 2months and it only costs her $25. He's a really tough horse and has a nice strong build and my instructor and my friend both said it is highly unlikely that I'd have to have the vet out at all for anything other than an anual check up. We've also agreed that if anything serious were to happen to him which would require high vet bills, as long as it is not something due to a reckless mistake on my part, she is willing to pay for it. This will be stated in our contact agreement. I went to meet him and try him out the other day and I loved him! He's a total sweetheart and my friend has put a lot of work into training him and he's a great horse.

The problem is I'm scared. My parents have never been able to pay for any of my horse stuff for me. I've always had to pay for my lessons and anything horse related myself. I don't want to get myself into a situation I can't get out of. It's going to cost me around $320 a month for board and lessons from my instructor and my part time job, at the MOMENT pays me about $600 a month but I don't know if that will stay the same once summer is over. I may only be getting like $400 a month once school starts which would be cutting it kinda close at times. And if I lose my job (which I don't see happening but still) I have no support system from my parents to back me up. I'm also supposed to be putting at least some money away for college. I don't know what to do. I know I could do it, as long as I am able to maintain my job and enough hours to have enough money for everything. If I need to I can cancel my lessons if I feel like I won't be able to pay for them which would save me a lot of money. I also plan on putting money aside before the lease starts in september so that if I feel like my job is in jeopardy I have at least 3-4 months of board so I can hopefully find a new job if something were to occur. So I feel like I'm OK. and I deffinitely have the maturity and am responsible enough to take this on. But I'm scared to take that risk.

What would you do if you were me?

I'm really sorry it's so long, I just really don't know what to do.

smrobs 07-18-2009 04:23 AM

I don't know how things work in Canada but here, we have Pell grants and scholarships for college. They won't pay enough for a big university but for a good community college, they work great. As for actually making the decision, that is something you need to talk over with your friend and your parents to work out some kind of agreement to cover the worst case scenario. Good luck. :D

lovemyponies 07-18-2009 07:17 AM

For one thing I would see if you can do a month to month lease. That is the way they often work and if so if anything happens you can simply "give the horse back." I would have the contract state that you are not responsible for ANY vet bills (unless there is gross negligence) so that there is no confusion. That is pretty fair, you pay for the farrier the owner can pay if there are vet bills.

Maybe you can get your instructor to give you a break on the lesson fees or take a little shorter lessons, etc.

How soon will you be going to college? Also you sound responsible to me so maybe you could put in some work at the barn where you are boarding and get a break on the board by cleaning stalls, feeding, etc.

Just some suggestions.

Good luck.

Endless Journey Girl 07-18-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemyponies (Post 353788)
For one thing I would see if you can do a month to month lease. That is the way they often work and if so if anything happens you can simply "give the horse back." I would have the contract state that you are not responsible for ANY vet bills (unless there is gross negligence) so that there is no confusion. That is pretty fair, you pay for the farrier the owner can pay if there are vet bills.

Maybe you can get your instructor to give you a break on the lesson fees or take a little shorter lessons, etc.

How soon will you be going to college? Also you sound responsible to me so maybe you could put in some work at the barn where you are boarding and get a break on the board by cleaning stalls, feeding, etc.

Just some suggestions.

Good luck.

I doubt I can do a month to month thing, she's going away to University so she's looking for someone to take him for the full time she's away. It would be kinda hard for her to find a suitable person to take over the lease while she's away at University. Yea vet bills is definitely something we are going to have to discuss a little further. I also thought about talking to my instructor about shorter lessons too, or I could trailer him to the barn I am currently taking lessons at and just do some group lessons which are only $35 an hour. I'll have to maybe talk to the barn owner about that too, could be a good idea if she needs the help. Oh and I'm hoping to go away to college next year. I've graduated high school already but didn't feel ready to leave home yet, and haven't got a clue what I want to do yet! So I'm going back to high school for a "victory lap" they call it haha and taking some extra courses and stuff. I'll be 18 in September. I work at a restaurant so I'm hoping once I turn 18 I can switch from my job as a hostess (seater) to serving, where I'll make more money.

lovemyponies 07-18-2009 03:04 PM

well I would suggest you just be honest with the person you are leasing from. Just advise you are planning on leasing for the full time but if something happens and you simply cannot afford to keep the horse then you will have to return it, possibly offer to find another person to lease the horse for her if that happens.

Unless she has a line of people wanting to free lease the horse that shes knows and trusts I think she should be more than happy to accept that arrangement. I know I would.

Endless Journey Girl 07-18-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemyponies (Post 354067)
well I would suggest you just be honest with the person you are leasing from. Just advise you are planning on leasing for the full time but if something happens and you simply cannot afford to keep the horse then you will have to return it, possibly offer to find another person to lease the horse for her if that happens.

Unless she has a line of people wanting to free lease the horse that shes knows and trusts I think she should be more than happy to accept that arrangement. I know I would.

Hmm I dunno, maybe. It's just she'll be away for the year probably only coming back at christmas and thats about it. I doubt she would allow me to find someone for her. She is really protective of her horse. She turned several people down who wanted to lease her horse before me because she didn't think they were experienced enough to maintain the work she has put into him.

lovemyponies 07-18-2009 05:19 PM

I understand. My point is she does trust you and does think you can do well with the horse. More than likely you will be able to pay for the horse for the entire time. However since you are being practical and need an out just in case something really bad should happen (you lose your job or they drastically cut your hours, etc.) You are simply covering yourself and well the horse too. If you were unable to properly pay for it I am sure she would want to figure something else out rather than you keep using the horse for free. Actually if you think about it you are really doing her a favor. You are going to pay to board her horse, keep it in shape, give it love and care and she trusts you. If I were her unless I had a list of other great people who I knew and trusted I would take the chance that something could happen and the lease would have to end. We all have to take chances in life and this is one with pretty good odds to me :)

masatisan 07-18-2009 06:47 PM

You could have a meeting with with the head of the lesson program and the owner of the horse to see if he might be able to be a lesson horse 2-3 times a week so he could work for his board. That way it would lower the cost for you. This could also be a good fallback if you can't afford payments the owner could potentialy full lease him as a lesson horse to work off his board.

Endless Journey Girl 07-18-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masatisan (Post 354184)
You could have a meeting with with the head of the lesson program and the owner of the horse to see if he might be able to be a lesson horse 2-3 times a week so he could work for his board. That way it would lower the cost for you. This could also be a good fallback if you can't afford payments the owner could potentialy full lease him as a lesson horse to work off his board.

The barn he's boarded at doesn't have a lesson program. I have to pay extra for my instructor to come to my barn to teach me.

CrazyH0rse 07-18-2009 10:43 PM

If you're going to be 18 soon and are looking to serve customers in a restaurant you might have to take a smart serve course.