The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   new trail rider!!! (long) (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/new-trail-rider-long-31905/)

dreamrideredc 07-18-2009 04:51 PM

new trail rider!!! (long)

well me and my horsey just started trail riding! its probably the funnest thing i have EVER done on my horse! =] from galloping up hill to swimming in ponds me and my horse are having a great time. it is nice to get out of the arena for a change if you know what i mean :wink: the only thing that i have noticed is that sometimes i get worked up over some dumb little things and i overthink it. for example - my horse sometimes gets the feeling that he is getting left behind (we have been doing group rides to start off) so he will trot and then once he catches up he walks again. and for some dumb reason i try to make him halt and that just makes him feel even more left behind so we get in a little tugging fight...i am just going to let him do his thing, it isnt really that big of a deal. in some cases it is like when he decides to RUN down the hill lol! that is when i take control but i find myself worrying about dumb little things...im just gunna relax and not think at all (easier said then done) we also went swimming with the horses!!! let me just say tons of fun!!! my horse has never gone thru water b4 and is not very fond of it but all he did was hesitate and then plop in lol! i was so proud of him! when it came to the spot where they had to swim i accidentily slid right off his rump lol! we have a pic and he is staring at me w/ a funny look while i am wading in the pond. i am so happy with him, i love him SO much. he went from jumping in the arena onto the trails...hasnt even really spooked! =] he is laid back calm and the love of my life...AND HE JUST TURNED SEVEN!!! (pretty young yet compared to other horsies) =] im gunna try to work him thru more water to get him used to it and liking it better. anyways...just kind of getting all my thoughts out, reply if you would like. thanks! :D

dreamrideredc 07-20-2009 12:11 AM

no one has a comment?

smrobs 07-20-2009 05:35 AM

Sounds like you had a fun day. Welcome to the trail riding minions. :D

lovemyponies 07-20-2009 08:09 AM

welcome to trail riding it is so much fun .... sounds like you have a good mount, stop worrying, just be careful and don't let your guard down but relax and enjoy

Deej 07-20-2009 08:14 AM

Wow sounds like he took to the water like a fish! How fun for you. My mare acts silly to when I hold her back. I have decied to just let her go. If she stays in front she's fine. She also loves the water. Be careful though, cause lots of horses like to suddenly roll in the water. Have fun...

dreamrideredc 07-20-2009 10:31 AM

thanks for the comments guys! =]

goldilockz 07-20-2009 10:44 AM

I can't wait till I'm able to ride again and AZ is trained. Trail riding is the best!

dreamrideredc 07-20-2009 10:49 AM

i think i am starting to agree with that statment ^ lol! im beginning to think trail riding is the best of the best! competitive riding is starting to get kinda old lol! =]

Qtswede 07-20-2009 02:15 PM

Glad to see you're having a good time - to me, that's the whole point of having horses - to enjoy them!
As far as overthinking things - just go with the flow, and try to stay within a couple of horse lengths of the group, you'll be fine - easier to keep in with the conversation too :D

Walkamile 07-21-2009 09:24 AM

Yay! Another trail rider is born! :) It's very "habit" forming isn't it?! Have fun and stay safe. BTW, after trail riding for a while, when you do return to competetive riding, you'll probably notice a pleasant change in your horses attitude. Trail riding is great for their minds as well as ours. :wink: