The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   growing a mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/growing-mane-31915/)

boxer 07-18-2009 07:23 PM

growing a mane

Hi everyone.

I have just bought my first horse Lena. The last owners only had her for 3 months and before that the previous owners had shaved her mane off. In the 3 months that the last owners had her, the mane has only grown about and inch or inch and a half long. How long does it usually take for a mane to get to a decent length where it will actually fall down along her neck?

DixiesPaintedNova 07-18-2009 07:30 PM

It really depends on the horse on how fast it will grow. I would use MTG or infusium leave in hair treatment....those will help you see results faster than just letting the mane grow out by its self.

boxer 07-18-2009 07:37 PM

I'm in Australia and I don't think we have those products here. I have a spray conditioner for her tail called no nots. do you think that could work on her mane to make it grow?

mom2pride 07-18-2009 11:51 PM

I would just get what you can, and regularly shampoo, and condition her mane with a good quality horse product; or even a high quality dog product.

boxer 07-18-2009 11:59 PM

Are there any dietary supplements that would help with hair growth from the inside :)

InspiredByHorses 07-19-2009 01:11 AM

My horse's mane never grows back, the people I bought him from hogged his mane so much it doesn't grow back, been trying to get it to grow back for two years

Jillyann 07-19-2009 01:14 AM

When I got my mare, her mane wasnt that long, but I brush it ALL the time, and braid it a lot, and that has grown it out about 2 inches or so in just over 2 months. To me, thats growing pretty fast!

Beloved Killer 07-19-2009 10:11 AM

I hate the look of cut manes.

Hopefully it grows back as soon as possible. :)

boxer 07-19-2009 05:59 PM

Inspiredbyhorses, don't tell me that!! I really do hope it grows back. It's about an inch and a half long now.

wild_spot 07-19-2009 07:53 PM

Boxer, unless there is something wrong, hogging a mane won't stop it from ever growing. It's like cutting a persons hair.

It takes a fair while for a mane to grow to a decent plaiting length after being hogged. I would suggest keeping a neck rug on her to hlep train it to lay down, and avoid the 'mohawk' look. My little arab had his mane hogged September last year. I didn't neck rug him so he had a mohawk until his mane was about 6 inches long! But now it's about ten inches long and laying flat again. It will depend on how fast your horses mane grows, it's always different. You could give her eggs/sunflower seeds/sunflower oil/Canola oil/Apple cider vinegar and garlic in her feed, all will help with the health of a horses coat and mane/tail, but I don't know of anything that will actually make it grow faster. Good luck!