The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Sledding! (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/sledding-319305/)

KylieHuitema 11-26-2013 01:34 PM

Sledding!

https://db.tt/gozBtlpC

https://db.tt/qnPl3dO8

-cross fingers- I hope you can click on these and see the pictures! Or copy them over.

Picture one: Well today we just got enough snow to sled on.. And, well, toofine got hooked up and we went sledding! He hasn't been since last year, and all we did last year was do circles in my back yard.. Well last night I hooked him up and we went around our house, across gravel driveways (he spooked at the noise but controlled it! I was very impressed!), around my neighbors house and out into our hay field. It was great! I was so proud of him

Picture two: this is my set-up. Is it okay for an half an hour at most sled rides? I used a surcingle with a saddle pad, connected to a breast collar. Cotton lead lines hooking the sled to the surcingle. I use a pelham for the bit, since he gets strong when he is doing something he likes... And he likes pulling the sled! My brother sometimes goes with me, and just in case my horse decides to do something, I just want a little bit of umphh in my hands.

Critique? I Love sledding behind him!

littrella 11-26-2013 06:25 PM

ok, now this is just the over-protective mother in me coming out.... How the heck do you plan on stopping that contrapion before you end up under the horses feet?!?!?!

Saddlebag 11-26-2013 06:35 PM

You use your feet for breaks. The real fun starts when horse has a dump, hot and steamy and right in the path of the sled.

KylieHuitema 11-26-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 4187929)
You use your feet for breaks. The real fun starts when horse has a dump, hot and steamy and right in the path of the sled.

I've never come close to going beneath my horses feet :lol: Usually i trot and then go down to a walk, so I don't really have a problem. Fortunately, my horse has not decided to relieve himself yet, and I hope he doesn't plan to :shock:

Skijoring 11-26-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 4187929)

BWAAAHAHAHA!!!!!! :lol:

greentree 11-30-2013 08:44 AM

That looks like fun!

You need the breast collar that goes straight across the chest, instead of a V, so he can pull with his chest instead of the girth. Hook the long "traces" to the breast collar.

Nancy

flytobecat 11-30-2013 09:24 AM

That looks dangerous, but no more so than us having the horse drag you behind them on skis. Have fun, be safe! Hopefully you don't run into any green apples.

franknbeans 11-30-2013 10:52 AM

When my friends do it, they use a longer rope, and either the rider holds it or it can be tied to the horn. THis makes it easier to release if there is an issue, and keeps it more off to the side for horses that aren't used to something coming up behind them. Shot-my kids used to do the same kind of thing behind cars on old hoods or bumpers….not that I condone that……;-)

EmilyJoy 11-30-2013 01:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We do this all the time in the winter with our lazy laid-back quarter horse.

Usually, though, we have two people doing it, one in the saddle and one on the sled.
The person in the saddle has the rope wrapped a couple of times around the horn and then holds the tail in his hand (that way you can just drop the rope and get the horse away if need be). The person in the saddle monitors the speed and watches so the rope doesn't get caught under the horse's feet or so the horse doesn't get rammed in the heels. The person in the sled is responsible for hanging on, stopping himself or "bailing out" if something bad is going to happen.

In my opinion, it's a great exercise for the horse to learn how to pull a bit of weight around and getting used to the noise of the sled going over snow/gravel etc.

We ended up making a sled for hauling kids and maple sap. At first we used the pony but as much as she liked to pull it she really had a hard time pulling if it was loaded up with a ton of kids, so we had shafts made to fit Red.

Attachment 328186

Attachment 328194

Attachment 328210

EmilyJoy 11-30-2013 07:15 PM

Bump...Didn't mean to murder the thread.